Need monitor recommendations

StryketheOrc

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hello Everyone,

First let me apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question (moderators feel free to move as needed).
I am currently using my 5 year old Vizio HDTV as a monitor via HDMI cable, but it doesn't support the resolution that my BIOS output is at (or the other way around, not entirely sure). In any event, the BIOS is so massively blown up that I cannot see anything except for the top left corner of the screen I'm supposed to see.
I have Googled the ever-loving crap out of this and all I'm finding is "Ask the motherboard manufacturer" and "Ask the BIOS manufacturer" on their respective sites. I am assuming that most newer monitors, not TV's, will support the range of resolution needed, but would like to know for sure (or as close as possible to) before I dump money on a monitor that will not work, and with that receive a few recommendations from you pro's out there.

I have the following information grabbed from the respective tools:

dxdiag shows my motherboard as MSI model MS-7823 (this is not an option in their support sites list of models)

msinfo32 shows the same information about my motherboard and American Megatrends Inc V3.4, 9/18/2013 for BIOS Version/Date and SMBIOS Version is listed as 2.8

I don't know how much this helps you, if in fact it does at all, but I am assuming this is the needed information. If there is anything else that you need to know, just ask and I'll do my best to get you the information.

Thank you all very much!

Its probably the HDMI scaling that is messing up the image, if you can use another connector (VGA is somewhat common on TV's) then use that.

As for monitor recommendations, we cant say much until we have a budget and your intended usage for your rig.

StryketheOrc

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I wasn't aware that the hdmi could cause that, thank you. As for the monitor, price range ~$500 primarily used for image editing, coding and gaming.
Thanks again!

For $500 you could pick up two or three screens if you wanted.
For your usage, dual ASUS PA238Q's sound like a good idea. They are pre-calibrated IPS panels so they have fairly good colour accuracy, the stock stand allow you to rotate the monitors into Portrait (which give you a lot more vertical screen space for coding) and I cant complain about gaming on it.

Only issue is that in North America at least they are somewhat hard to find, only place I can find is NCIX.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69432

Archie Griffs

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
You have a lot of options with a 500$ budget, you can go with three monitors like chalk suggested, or you can put it into one higher resolution monitor which I recommend.

Seeing as you're looking for a monitor that won't cause you problems, I wouldn't recommend this 1440p S. Korean monitor that's priced at 345$
http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor/dp/B00BUI44US/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382760395&sr=8-2&keywords=27+1440p+Ips+Monitors+From+Korea
It has backlight issues (which can be fixed yourself), but otherwise is fantastic quality. If you don't want to deal with potential problems with a monitor don't get this one.

However, I do highly recommend a 1440p monitor over a 1080p one, but 3 1080p monitors have many applications as well. For you, three monitors would likely be used for multi-tasking (having different browsers.programs on different screens).

For gaming, the three monitors are more demanding than a 1440p monitor is, but it also depends heavily one what games you're playing. Some games won't support multi monitor setups, some will. The idea behind 3 monitors is that for example in a shooter game, your reticle/your center focus of where your shooting is in the middle monitor, and the other two monitors show more surroundings at wider FOV angles. 1440p is giving you a much higher resolution, and thus a much sharper image, three monitors is giving you better multi-tasking, and showing more of your surroundings/more space to work with.

Here's a list of 1440p monitors, there's a pretty big range to choose from, make sure to read plenty of reviews before purchasing any monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600012694&IsNodeId=1&name=2560%20x%201440

StryketheOrc

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Excellent, thank you guys for this information! I really like the idea of multiple monitors in portrait, especially as I have limited desk space and even less wall access in my current position. I'll read up on all of this, thanks again! :-D

TRENDING THREADS