Interested in Computers

jaredseg

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I am very interested in pursuing a computer based career, whether it be software or hardware related I don't know yet. I know much more than you average person about computers and probably am considered average in this community. What am came to ask is what do you recommend that I start learning about to prepare for this kind of career? Keep I'm mind that I am 15 years old and don't have a car to be driving around, but I do have a custom high end PC.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Computer Science is math heavy but is a good stepping stone if you want to get into designing systems
IT is service oriented work and tends to have dead ends career wise, but not always
General programming tends to be hard to break past entry level and can easily lead to burn-out
Server admins tend not to complain as much as the other types of computer related work. Maybe it's better on average over there?

I would say to figure out what you like to do and try your best to find a job with 40 hours per week and not some 60hr/week job that will kill your spirit after a few years.