Couch-gaming PC for $400-600

ChernobylCow

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hello everyone!

I enjoy gaming from my couch. I want a PC that will easily hook up to my current 32” (720p) Samsung TV (hdmi hook ups), and that I can eventually hook up to a bigger 40-50” TV in the future. I've got an Xbox 360 and PS3 but I want to take it to the next level. I'm pretty frugal with my entertainment budget. Games have been cheaper on Steam for a LONG time. And with the recent appearance of ports like Mortal Kombat/Injustice, DMC, Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance, etc. I am comfortable with migrating fully to the PC.

For 6 years I have been using a 32” (max 720p) Samsung TV to play Xbox 360 and PS3. The visual quality has been fine for me. I’ve never really been impressed or enjoyed using Blu-rays. When I buy video content on Amazon I usually am cheap and just buy the Regular Version of a TV show, not the HD. Honestly, I can’t see a $1 worth of improvement in visual quality.
My typical viewing distance is 7 feet.

In summary, I’m not looking for super-blazing-hot-eye-ball-melting-resolutions. I want nice, clean, simple and enjoyable visuals. I don’t spend time counting pixels or pulling my hair out over anti-aliasing, screen tearing, etc. I just want to sit down and start playing.
Games I currently own and would want to play: Tomb Raider (2013), XCOM:Enemy Unknown/Within, TW: Shogun 2, Hard Reset, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Skyrim. I also play a lot of small games like Super Meatboy and Mark of the Ninja.

Any help or suggestions would be great! Links to existing builds that fit my needs would be awesome also. Thanks in advance.

Approximate Purchase Date: February – March 2014
Budget Range: PC + OS Budget: $400-600 after rebates and shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: #1) Couch gaming. #2) Video/Music Streaming #3) Web surfing.

Monitor situation: I have a 32” 720p Samsung TV. Eventually I want to buy a bigger 40-50” 1080p TV. My typical living room viewing distance is 7FT.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Windows 7 has worked great for me. If there is some reason I should use Windows 8, I guess I could be persuaded.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon (I have a prime account) & New Egg (bought all my previous computer parts from New Egg).

Parts Preferences: No preference.

Overclocking: Maybe. I want ease of use. I don’t want to constantly fiddle with my PC once it is up and running.

SLI or Crossfire:
Maybe. I don’t know anything about this subject.

Your Monitor Resolution:
720p and up for television couch gaming.

Additional Comments:

Upgradeability: My previous computer I built 6 years ago and I never upgraded. I only opened it to clean it. I would like to have a clear upgrade path for my living room pc.

Tower size: The size of the tower does not matter. My house is roomy. If having a bigger case makes assembly easier, that would be preferred.

Tower features:
Easy to use USB slots.I have numerous USB devices: Fight stick, Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless adapter.
No distracting lights. Quiet.

Bianchi789

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
If you want good graphics and frame rate gaming, you'll need to up your budget a bit...a good gpu costs $300 alone, an i5 cpu would cost (approx) $150 and a motherboard another (approx) $150..so right there you are at your cap. If you are building a work station computer that budget will do fine but for gaming you'll need to spend about $1k...I just build my computer and spent $1300 for high end gaming and its great, it will last for years to come with little upgrading, if I were you I would make the investment now if you know you will be gaming in the future from it.

EDIT: $300 GPU without SLI/Crossfire - if you do not know, SLI is for NVIDIA and Crossfire X is for AMD, this means using 2-3 GPUs together to have a better gaming experience. I recommend getting 1 good GPU for now and buying a second when that GPU is alot cheaper and only if you need to. As of right now some games do not support SLI or CFX

MDXX

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($76.97 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.77 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.06 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.40 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $691.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 17:49 EST-0500)