Can you overdo your overclocking and negatively impact performance?

Long story short, I have 2 nVidia GTX 660 superclocks running in SLI. I wanted to see if I could push them a bit further and started using EVGA Precision to overclock them. I stability test with Furmark. I can add about 135 mhz to the core clock, and 105 mhz to the memory (boosting power to the card up to 105%) and still maintain some great stability.

I was running those above mentioned numbers I can pull about 48 frames per second average on Furmark. So I bumped those numbers to 110% voltage (max that EVGA precision allows), and 150 mhz to the core clock, and 120mhz to the memory clock. I ran Furmark again, but this time I only got 45 frames per second on average.

So that's the question. With higher pushing numbers I got crappier results. Can you overdo your overclocking in a way that it negatively impacts your performance results? Or is there some trick that I am missing? Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about overdo overclocking negatively impact performance
  1. Probably what is happening is the extra voltage is overheating your cards, and they will automatically throttle themselves down to avoid being damaged.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking