Rear Exhaust fan not working but...

joemama57

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I just recently upgraded majority of my computer parts. I recently installed an i7 4770k, Asus z87-pro, 8 gigs of ram, 2.5 TB HD, and a 750 watt PSU. I reused my old Antec 900 case (about 4 years old now) as well as my GTX 660 (1 year old) and hyper 212 evo heatsink (6 months old).

After several days of casual use and stress tests, my CPU idles around 25-29c. My mobo idles around 21-24c. Under load (mostly newer games with skype open and web browser open too) my CPU temps my increase to about 35-40c and my gpu rarely passes 55-60c under load.

I thought to myself, those temps are pretty normal if not really good but then I noticed my rear exhaust fan was not working. All my other fans are (around 8 fans including case, gpu and heatsink fans).

I tried connecting the rear fan's power cable to other PSU connectors but the fan is just simply dead. To be honest (I cant remember if it was working before I upgraded..)

Should I be worried? Should I replace the fan immediately or leave it for now seeing as how its not detrimental to keeping my computer cool.

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Rear exhaust fans are always important to keep the "temperature equilibrium" balanced inside the case. I would get it replaced soon. It won't kill you not to for a week or two, but don't go too long without replacing it.

joemama57

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. That's kind of what I figured. I'll end up replacing it next weekend regardless.

Cheers!