Help finding a good but relatively cheap monitor

TheBritishViking

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around at monitors and quickly realised I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll be using it for gaming, recording gameplay, and video editing and possibly will be looking to invest in a dual monitor setup in the future, but for now just a single.

I've been looking at the LG 22EA53VQ 60Hz 21.5" which has been recommended by two friends, its only £100 and is apparently very good.

• 60Hz
    21.5" screen
    5ms response time
    1080p

I'm unsure of the advantages of going for a higher hz monitor, in terms of price I would rather keep it below £200 and I have no brand preference.

My GPU is the Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB

Thank you,
TBV

TheBritishViking

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

Considering my GPU will be able to achieve easily over 60fps on the majority of games. Am I essentially wasting its potential by sticking with say, a 60Hz monitor. Then again my eyes cannot see past 30fps so is there really any loss of quality?

Even if you can't see past 30 fps, you notice the difference, because your eyes are not synced with the monitor. 144mhz monitors look much better than 60. You are wasting some potential, but not much because FPS isn't all that matters.

You can distinguish it. Your eyes are not synced up with the monitor, which means you don't see it perfectly. Higher refresh rate minimizes that. Imagine spinning a wheel split into two equal halves and dropping a ball onto it, sometimes the ball lands on one half, sometimes it lands on the other. Think of the wheel as the monitor and the ball as your vision, not every ball will land in the part you can see.