IPS vs. 120/ 144hz monitors for gamer/ graphic designer

rebornupright

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
I'm a freelance graphic designer. But I'm also a hardcore gamer. It's a tough thing to be at once because it seems like the choice now is between a monitor that's good for one or a monitor that's good for the other. Over the years, I have come to appreciate a high refresh rate for watching video and playing games, yet I know that this comes at the cost of color reproduction and resolution.

Graphic design is not yet a trade for me. It's just something I do freelance. Right now I'm using a Syncmaster P2770FH LED monitor. It seems to do great in terms of response time and color reproduction, however I do occasionally experience headaches playing FPS games because of the low refresh rate.

I'm looking for a monitor with a swivel for versatile viewing angles and something that will give me a great experience gaming. Which do you think is more important? Price is not really an object as I'm not looking to buy immediately, but $400 is probably my maximum.

Solution
I used to have a TN gaming monitor, but recently started doing a lot of graphic arts/After Effects work. It was just impossible to get accurate color and detail on this monitor so I treated myself to an IPS and made a night and day difference of my workflow making it not only easier to see more color and detail, but also made my games look much more beautiful. Stay away from the Korean model monitors (such as Qnix) that claim to be "overclockable" because there are many problems on the internet and videos showing the hardware not being able to handle anything above 60Hz and really puts a toll on them and technically not designed to be doing that. I suggest going with a good legit gaming/IPS monitor such as these ones which have...

tmacg55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I used to have a TN gaming monitor, but recently started doing a lot of graphic arts/After Effects work. It was just impossible to get accurate color and detail on this monitor so I treated myself to an IPS and made a night and day difference of my workflow making it not only easier to see more color and detail, but also made my games look much more beautiful. Stay away from the Korean model monitors (such as Qnix) that claim to be "overclockable" because there are many problems on the internet and videos showing the hardware not being able to handle anything above 60Hz and really puts a toll on them and technically not designed to be doing that. I suggest going with a good legit gaming/IPS monitor such as these ones which have exceptional response times for gaming needs and IPS panels providing you with excellent color and slim bezels that will be pleasing to the eye.

-AOC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160158
-ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335
-LG http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-23EA63V-P-led-monitor

However, if you are getting headaches in games, it may or may not be the refresh rate, it may be the fact your GPU cannot handle games at certain graphic settings, because you want a minimum of 60FPS, so I suggest maybe turn down your settings until you get at least 60 FPS. I know if I play at 40 FPS or below that it can really be irritating. 60 FPS should not be giving you any problems though as that it is rather fluid, and remember IPS will have more natural, lifelike color resulting in your eyes being a little more relaxed. :) Hope this explains more and helps you on your future monitor purchase.

Solution

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

yes i know but you have to pay to play and he wouldn't be disappointed and if he wants something top i just added another 240hz and 1 ms , ezio make pro based panels , if he wants quality with gaming then that's not come a cheap , high quality monitors always cost

t21

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

yes i know what you mean that is such $$$$$$$$$ but it's always like that with high tech unfortunately =/ , you could get cheap ips or pva but when you compare it with another ips from another manufacture that's when quilty comparison comes which in most cases justify the high cost