Choosing a Hard Drive?

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the forums and I'm making my first PC from scratch hopefully soon but I need some advice and answers on the following.....

Is there much difference between "Green, Blue and Black" hard drives?
Are SSD drives a big advantage over Mechanical drives?

Chheers :)

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Green drives are considered more eco friendly with lower power usage.
Blue drives are considered the balanced drives between power and performance.
Black are considered performance drives that use more power but work faster.
I prefer and SSD for my main drive as it allows my computer to boot faster and my programs to launch quicker.

SSD drives are the fastest option, but they run at a premium price and generally anything beyond 256GB is beyond worth having because of the high price. Western digital Black drives are my personal favorite among regular hard drives, but any non-green, 7200RPM hard drive from Seagate or Western Digital will serve you well. If you can afford it, a 128GB SSD for your operating system, docs, photos, office programs with a much larger hard drive for games is the way to go.

If you are not gaming and wont need tons of space for large game files, then I'd just go with a SSD of about 128GB to 180GB.

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Thanks for the help. I will use it for gaming, photos, programs etc. so I think I'll either get a blue or black standard Hard drive- probably 1tb as I don't think I can get a SSD and stay within my budget.

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If you watch www.newegg.com sometimes they have daily deals and I have seen 120GB SSDs for sale for 60-70 USD. you just need to check it daily or get on their email list and they will send the information to you.