Should I buy a GTX 660? Or let sleeping dogs lie...

npierno

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I've got a Core i5-760 Quad 2.8GHz with 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz and an Asus GTX 550 TI (also everything is running from an intel ssd).

Would it make any sense for me to upgrade to a GTX 660? Is there a more meaningful upgrade I could do in the neighbourhood of $200?

Or should I just accept that my setup is ageing and use it until I build a new system in another couple years?

Thanks!!

Have a look here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32850-7.html
The 550Ti is a fairly weak card by current standards, and will especially struggle at 1080 resolution because of its limited memory. It's definitely a bottleneck if you're playing, or trying to play the current AAA titles.
You could go for a GTX760 class of card (provided a 1080 rez) and suffer no CPU restrictions on performance.
Apart from budget, check the installed power supply has the required PCI-E leads to power the upgraded card.
FYI, I'm running a i5 750/HD7950@1080 and can run even heavy hitters like Metro LL smoothly at high/ultra settings.

npierno

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
So it sounds like my CPU is still relevant enough to upgrade the GPU. That's encouraging.

I have a 500w antec power supply. I wonder if that's enough. I'll check how many leads I have.

Any thoughts on going for the cheaper gtx660 option instead of the 760?

Either will be a BIG improvement but the GTX760 is a better match to the current system.
Here's a useful review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_270X_Gaming/ They compare the GTX660, 760 and some Radeons to the card under test, check out the benchmarks and then you can decide if the extra expense (and wait) is worthwhile for your circumstances.
Most, if not all GTX 660 cards need a single 6 pin PCI-E lead, so the Antec should easily be enough for one of those, the GTX760 is more demanding, most need 1x6 and 1x8 pin leads although some run off dual 6 pin.

npierno

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Just a quick followup.

I ended up buying a HIS R9 270x for $214 (CAD) at Memory Express (great local store).

It's currently murdering Metro Last Light for me so I'm really happy with the purchase. Hopefully it will be relevant for a good couple years.

Thanks for your help coozie7!