Finalizing 700~1000 USD build. Have a few questions. All advice appreciated.

Atheris

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi Tomshardwarites,

Same old, building a pc that will do some gaming (SC2, CIV V, etc), have lots of tabs open in firefox, stream movies, and be a general work computer. I used to keep up with all the new tech stuff but I got busy and am about four years out of the loop, so I would love feedback from people that are in touch with current technology. I'd prefer to be around $800 USD but I am susceptible to price creep so my builds keep being around $1000. I guess that's my range then. If I cut the SSD I can be at the lower end of my build budget so I suppose that's why there's a range (1000 for ssd, 800ish for no ssd). I don't see how to cut to 800$ and keep the ssd since I need an OS but maybe you do. I put the build request template at the bottom after the build list with my specifics. Thank you for your help!

This is the build I'm basically considering now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wDNk

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($161.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $976.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 13:51 EST-0500)

I originally wanted 16gb of ram but I suspect that won't get used in normal gaming and web use. I'm not a video or music editor. Also, would there be any significant benefit for this system to go to 1866mhz ram? Is there a preferred RAM timing for my uses for the CPU I've picked?

For the video card, with the 650 gtx ti boost be able to utilize the full 2gb of ram or might I just save the money and go to 1gb? the boost seems to be significantly better than the standard gtx or gtx ti, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I like evga for gpus. I have no real idea as to gpu hierarchy and I honestly find AMD's structure confusing so I went to nvidia.

I was considering this Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU cooler over the 212 EVO. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023 This pc will be on almost continuously for years so I want it to keep cool and quiet.

I chose the motherboard I did because it has USB 3 (I don't need it at the front of my case), heatsinked VRMs, and is from a manufacturer I think who tries to have high quality. I doubt I'll sli or crossfire so I don't think I need the 990 chipset.

I want a bullet proof PSU. I think the seasonic I chose fits this role for this build, what do you think?

Will I need to flash the bios for this mobo with the 6300 like PCpartspicker suggests?

Thank you for your help!

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Probably tomorrow or the next day. This week at least.

Budget Range: 700-1000 USD total including shipping but not MIR because I am lazy.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Medium gaming, streaming, having tons of tabs and multiple windows open in firefox/opera.

Are you buying a monitor: no, using a 23" and a 19"

Parts to Upgrade: new build

Do you need to buy OS: yes :( I can't find my win 7 pro so I'm planning to get a new win7 premium 64bit. I probably will want to try out a dual boot with steamos if that ever becomes possible.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and amazon. If there's big savings by buying from numerous vendors I'll do it, but for 5% more or whatever I'll probably just stick to these two.

Location: Boston, MA, USA. I have a microcenter in cambridge, but they don't seem to have many nice ATX am3+ boards in stock.

Parts Preferences: Probably AMD processor so more money for extras. I like seasonic psus. I used to be a mushkin/amd/radeon die hard but I'm not that extreme anymore. Other brands I have used and been happy with are asus, biostar, antec, corsair, gskill, ocz and evga. I'm scared of Asus support but I like their products when they work. I have been disappointed with msi, gigabyte, rosewell, and some others i can't remember. This was several years ago and I'm willing to consider these vendors if the specific component recommended has a strong reputation.

Overclocking: I might play with some OC after everything is stable at stock but I won't keep it there.

SLI or Crossfire: Not right now.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 and 1440x900.

Additional Comments: Quiet is important to me. Also I don't like bright as it will be near the bed.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It's just time for an upgrade. I plan to use this computer for 3-4 years then build another. I would like it to be able to handle most games at moderate settings well if possible. I might upgrade the gpu in a year or two if there is reason to.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.92 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $942.77
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 14:02 EST-0500)

Made a few changes to get you better value. Stick with a 120GB SSD for now. You can put your OS and all your apps on it, and then games and media on your storage drive. At this budget, you have more pressing needs than extra SSD space.

I dropped down your PSU, this XFX is made by SeaSonic and is very well reviewed. You can pay a little more for the Pro Series which is gold rated and fully modular if you'd like.

The Antec 300 is dated and is missing things like cable management and removable drive trays. The Corsair 400R does everything it does better. I believe you can also turn off the LEDs to keep it dark.

With all the savings, I upped your GPU to a 760, which is a considerable upgrade and you will end up with a much better gaming experience.

Atheris

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Thank you Transmaniacon, I like your suggestions and I see you even upped the RAM for cheaper. I like the case, and it does have the ability to toggle the lights on and off. I was unsure as to what wattage I should am for with the PSU. You went about 200w above the estimated wattage from pcpartpicker. Is the cost difference between bronze and gold worthwhile in terms of durability or in reality is it only an efficiency rating?

Thank you again for the help!

Znoxz

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wSQp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wSQp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wSQp/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($161.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $987.87
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 20:11 EST-0500)
760 is better for gaming can play most game on high-ultra.
The nzxt 210 is a great case and you can spend alittle more on the other part
The G skill are great ram, cheaper, and is 1866
I replace the seasonic psu for a cheaper seasonic one but should work great and power the build.
The m5a97 have usb bios flashback which make updating the bios very easy.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished

550 watts is plenty for this build, and you have room to overclock as well. If you have any plans for SLI, then I would suggest something in the 750 watt range. As long as you buy from a good brand, the quality is generally maintained throughout the different models, regardless of efficiency. That XFX is made by SeaSonic which in my opinion is the top PSU manufacturer.