Help with multiple monitors on Sapphire HD7970

skiefer

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I have a sapphire HD 7970 running 3 24" Asus monitors, 2 dvi, one displayport to dvi, I have a 25 foot hdmi cable that I am using to also hook my computer to the TV to do gaming and watch movies on my big tv with surround sound. What I've found is that if I hook up all 4 monitors, one of them becomes disabled. So I guess my question is, what is the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, which is make my living tv my main monitor when I want to go in there and game/watch movies ect, and then when I want to work in the computer room, I want to be able to easily switch back over to eyefinity.

Solution
I've yet to try this DisplayFusion thing (since I use my 7 screens at one time in one location), but maybe it helps get you most of the way there?

http://www.displayfusion.com/

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
your displayport is most likely NOT an active adapter, which is the single biggest fothermucking issue with the whole AMD DP thing that's gonna cause it to NEVER catch on and die a slow painful death.

you'll likely need to pay $30 to buy a proper ACTIVE displayport adapter. isn't that annoying? no such BS hassles with vga, dvi, or hdmi interfaces.

so yeah, try that.

or get a separate video card - use the 7970 for the tv for games, and another card (7790 for example) for the other 3 monitors for work. doubt you'll be able to eyefinity it, but if the tv is physically far away from the 3 monitors, it likely doesn't matter...

(ps - I hate DP so f'n much that I went NVidia, 4 outputs per card with no DP)

skiefer

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Actually I do have an ACTIVE displayport adapter, I orginally got a passive one and i couldn't get eyefinity to work with it, so that can't be the issue. Mainly, I want to be able to switch between using my eyefinity in my computer room, then be able to click something or make a quick change and be able to go into the living room and use my computer on my big tv, I already have all the cables ran and stuff, just trying to figure out the best way to switch between the two, I don't need to be able to use all 4 monitors at once, just the eyefinity group when Im in the computer room, then strictly hdmi when i go into the living room. But yes, I agree.. if the 7970 I got wasn't free, I would have definately went with Nvidia.