Asus ROG Swift PG278Q LCD Monitor Packs Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

It's a 1440p 120 Hz Panel. There aren't any of these that you don't have to overclock at this point. It also has a GSync PCB, so the frame rate will adapt to your GPU. I don't see ANY other panel competing with this for gaming,

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
A 60 Hz IPS panel delivers a better gaming experience for all but the very very best gamers, and even then I doubt the monitor really matters.

Unless you need 120 Hz to avoid motion sickness, the idea that 120 Hz is automatically better for gaming is a farce.

The color shifting on a 28" TN panel is epic fugly.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

Not everyone values color over reaction. While IPS panels have really dropped in price, in order to get 120Hz+ without overclocking your monitor, you have to look at TN since they can do 120 Hz+ without overclocking. Personally, I love my 120Hz TN because movement is far more fluid in games than an IPS would be running at 60 Hz and color capabilities of my 120 Hz TN is enough for me.

That being said, the price is a little on the high side and could probably stand to have $150 to $200 knocked off as it does offer QHD along with the 120Hz refresh.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

That's your opinion, personally, it's night and day for me playing on 120Hz vs 60Hz, 120Hz is far more fluid. I can't go back to 60Hz and play any games now after having my 120Hz monitor for a couple years.

As to color, again, that's your opinion, I find the color levels for my 120Hz to be fine as to me, fluidity of movement trumps color saturation.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

GTX 780's are popping up under $500 now, and 7970 GHz is on Amazon for $420. I got lucky and found a rev. 2 Gigabyte 780 new with 90-day return on eBay for $460.

Not quite as expensive as you think :)
Competition is good right now.

D

Deleted member 1353997

You forgot to consider people who want to play in stereoscopic 3D. Last time I checked, 3D was only supported on panels with 120 Hz refresh rate or faster.

Also, people are not born equal. Some people can't see the difference between 60 FPS and 30 FPS, and some can see the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS. Please, don't think everybody's like you; we are obviously not all born equal.

I believe the color shifting of TN panels are awful, regardless of their size, resolution or speed.
Still, you'll be staring at your screen from the front most of the time, especially while gaming; not the top, or bottom, or side, or back; the front. That is assuming you're playing on a desktop computer; it would be a completely different matter, if you were playing on a portable device, like a notebook, tablet or smartphone, however.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
What about Lightboost and strobing effects? Some people may have to crank the brightness to get over the headaches this screen may cause them. Also, what about those people who buy it and have big rig-egos, but not the rig to run it? Is it native 120hz? If so, there will be plenty of low end cards that just won't push that sucker - about 3.7 million pixels.

TN? No thanks and no way. Ugly panel, bad color repro - IPS 1440 GSYNC 120Hz is coming and at a lower price point. Just wait it is going to happen this year.

Sep 22, 2013
@Bondfc11

1) It's Lightboost strobing OR G-Sync, not both. G-Sync is a better option as it doesn't use the backlight to achieve the fluidity. Strobing is still a non-official function, anyway.

2) Lightboost on it's own refers ONLY in 3D situations. In that case, you're talking apples to oranges.

3) An IPS panel with equivalent functions and size to a TN panel at a LOWER price point? Let me know when that happens.

IPS is overrated for those that are okay with the colors they see on their large screen TV, whether it's a plasma or LED. Unless you're doing editing of video or images of some kind, or design that requires color accuracy, an IPS is far too much money for the crowd this panel is aimed at: gamers.

Besides, 120Hz/144Hz panels won't do much for someone using Photoshop, nor will the mild boost in color accuracy from an IPS do much for a gamer playing 120FPS shooters.

If anything, you're likely to see a G-Sync enabled 60Hz IPS panel for easily twice the price of an equivalent TN panel.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I see the difference between 60 and 120 fps just fine. 120 fps is significantly smoother. But when the colors look like a pile of dog poo, it doesn't matter. The (significant) boost in smoothness is not worth the downside of fugly color shift / junk viewing angles.

And it IS more significant on a 28" screen unless you sit far away (3 feet+), because the viewing angles at the edges of the screen are more extreme than on a 23-24" screen. It makes the color shift much more noticeable and much more annoying.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
why is everyone worried about high fps when using g sync? it's been proven that 30fps looks very good when using g sync.

if I had low-mid end hardware, I would be excited for g sync. people with top of the line hardware wont see a difference unless they are trying to get rid of tearing or something similar.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
The end of nVIDIA is near. We're seeing PhysX flop (proprietary) and we'll see this G-Sync flop. It's inevitable. I'm not an AMD fan, when it comes to GPUs, but I have to admit that non-proprietary technology is the way of the future. We're seeing it with SteamOS, the Linux initiative, Mantle and OpenCL.

G-Sync is just full of fail. Nice technology, but being proprietary means it will fail. It is inevitable.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
@Chris - you're wrong with LB and GSYNC either or scenario - just that IPS doesnt play well with LB above around 75hz. A board can be designed with both. GSYNC isnt that expensive and IPS panels - equivalent sizes are cheaper than TNs right now. Overlord has its IPS 120hz capable monster at $499. Just watch out - you will see there will be a better option available.

IPS are not overrated - you just sound like a TN fanboy. If you're okay with so-so color then cool for you. IPS is just a better option for color, clarity, and brightness. And before you continue your over-hyped comments make sure you ahve gamed on a 1440 120Hz IPS panel and compare it to a similar TN - there is no comparison.

Sep 30, 2013
Funny to say "without over-clocking", like if it matters how you get there as long as you do? If the panels can handle it and it's just not done because... whatever / the think 60 Hz is ok / standard then the only part which is missing is someone deciding to go higher from the beginning.

Also it doesn't have to reach 120 Hz, 75 will still be better than 60, 90 better than that, 100 better than that, ..

The G-sync is what I want too but I hate that it's Asus and Nvidia specific as is. Should be e general standard for having a monitor refresh to the video source.

Status
Not open for further replies.