Help Me Decide on Making My New PC? How Many Watts? i5 3570k vs. i5 4670k?

i5 3570k vs. i5 4670k?

• i5 3570k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i5 4670k

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
G

*i5 4670k vs. i5 3570k?
*Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
*Asus Z87-PRO vs. Asus P8Z77-V PRO?
*Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4gb)
*WD Caviar Blue 1tb
*Samsung 128gb 840 PRO SERIES vs Samsung 120gb 840 EVO?
*EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC
*What Case?
*What Power Supply?
*Asus DRW-24B1ST Optical Drive
*Windows 7 or Windows 8?
*Asus VS247H-P

legomaster181

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
CPU depends on your budget, if you can afford it along with your other parts than go for it.
As for the SSD, you should probably just go for whatever's cheapest, I'm not really sure there's that much of a difference between the 2 other than there being a 1TB version of the EVO.
Also, if possible, stretch for a gtx 760, they're just $50 more and perform much better.
The case, I personally recommend the Fractal Design Define R4, it looks really sleek, is super quiet, and is just amazing overall.
For your power supply, if you're planning on upgrading to SLI in the future than you'd want to go for something heavy, say 700W, otherwise you could probably just get a 400W one.
Finally, Windows 8 will give you a very slight performance advantage, but it heavily depends on whether you hate the new Metro UI yet.

tlgriffith

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

CPU: i5-4670k
MoBo: Asus z87-Pro
Ram: Gskill rijpaw series X (2 x 4gb)
Case: Corsair 500r Carbide or Rosewill ThorV2
Power supply: XfX or Seasonic 750w
Windows 7

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Since it's a new build I would recommend the 4670k (and so accompanying Z87 boad)
From what I know the EVO is aimed more at the average builder while the Pro is more for business/ server types of things. The Pro is slightly better, but for your uses there likely won't be much of a noticeable difference between the 2. With either drive you will likely be getting a new system before they die. Since the EVO is cheaper I would get that (maybe even get a larger one with the money you saved) and/or use the money saved on the pro for something else.
As said before, try for the 760 if you can, although the 660 is still fairly decent.
I would also agree with the R4. I'm using one now and it looks good, stays quiet, and is fairly well ventilated. Just be warned, it's heavy. It shouldnt make much of a difference since it will be sitting in one spot hopefully, but if you have to move it a lot then keep it mind that it's 27 lbs by itself.
For a power supply look at something like the Corsair HX or AX models, or a Seasonic PSU ( I believe there is a 550 W for somewhere around $70-80

I'd go with Windows 8 since it's a completely new computer. The 2 OS are extremely similar aside from the start menu, I barely noticed that I'd switched after about a week of using 8. To me the OS does feel a bit quicker, although everyone has different opinions. The start menu isnt really so much of an issue as I never had strong attachments to the 7 start menu, it actually felt a bit clumsier to me. In any case, I put most everything on the Desktop anyway so it nothing really changed there. Short of any temporary driver incompatibilities just about all of your hardware and software should work about the same on 8 as it did on 7

legomaster181

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
If you don't have to pay for the GPU than don't buy another one, it's not out of date yet. Just use that one. They're incredibly upgradable.