Did i hurt it? 780 ti OC 300mhz offset 100mhz gpu HELP!?

light001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
using evga precision X, i watched a youtube video and saw after some explanation this guy had his offset to 300mhz and the gpu clock offset to 100mhz. i did this and ran metro last light only with 2x super sampling. played ok for abit then it went like purple n weird so after 3 sec i just held down power button n shut it down restarted my cpu and went back to default...nothing crazy happened yet but what are the chances that permanently hurt it?

i also ran a furmark preset 1080p and everything went fine....ive been trying to safely oc it , but it seems like most things wont make a huge difference. Metro last light is a pain in the ass because they integrated to many options in the general quality settings so you cannot select the few you want n such. Also my motherboard came with virtu-mvp. i did wat it said and everything looked fine and set up, but i did not really see any preformance gain so i just uninstalled it...is it highly recommended to keep it? So ya...any input would be nice...im trying to mess with my machine and such, also i have Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz Vengeance RAM. And i saw in bios or in my asus ae utility suite thing that its like 8gig stick at 800mhz? is that accurate? and when i enable basic X M P in my bios does it make sure that the ram runs and full speed? My friend also messed with a few other settings in bios which seems to run things abit smoother but i dident feel comfortable leaving them as i am still entry level to these things but THIS IS MY BOARD "Asus p8z77-v-lx-" And i have A "i5-3550" The ram the card and a 850 watt power supply. So ya if annny one has like some tweeks and highlights and options i can get to run my baby abit faster "SAFE" of course. Let me know. but tell me what it does and why and i will send you a cookie! :D one day.
THANKS GUYS

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I've had that happen in Metro, and it was always from an unstable GPU overclock. I doubt it did any dmg, and if it did, EVGA would replace it, so no worries.

If anything, Furmark would hurt GPU more than Metro LL. I've heard it accused of putting WAY more stress than is necessary on a GPU, but that could be bull. Personally, I like running EVGA OCScanner (furry/tessy donut in 1920x1080) for 15 mins as a rough idea of stability (if it shows artifacts, its not stable), then OCCT, Heaven, and Metro LL benchmark.

Virtu is more crap software IMO, unless it's changed a lot in the past couple years. It can cause stability issues and provides no benefit, unless maybe your doing a multi monitor setup (not sure if it's even good for that).

Your mobo is probably showing 800mhz per stick, for 1600mhz total. XMP should run them at the appropriate overclocked speed, yes. I can't think of anything that should need to be changed in the BIOS, maybe just check that the drives are running in AHCI mode and not IDE.

light001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
Ya i did not see the increase in frames that they claimed it would give, so no virtu mvp for me. I will not use furmark anymore then. Is there a program to check the "Health" of your graphics card? Probably not hey. But im thinking mine should be ok. Ya evga is good for replacing your card if you made it all out of whack with trying to OC? what is the term bricking mean? Any idea what evga does not cover if you did to your Graphics card? What does mobo mean. is that good ram that i have?

Is there ram sticks that are 1600mhz per stick @ 8gig or more?
And just changing it from manual to X M P will do this?
Any other things in bios to speed up stuff or snappyness?

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Supposedly, even the reported FPS gains from Virtu were a result of a glitch that reported more frames than were actually being rendered, at least that was the case a couple years ago.

I don't think there's a way to check the health. Be aware that hardware health is directly related to temps and voltage. Bricked means nonfunctional, useless, hence it's like a brick.

EVGA has a fantastic warranty and customer service; nice choice on the card. I believe it is a 3 year warranty that is transferable, covers overclocking (most companies don't. note that they won't help you overclock though), overvoltage, opening up the case, reapplying the thermal paste, etc; pretty much you name it and it's covered except accidents and acts of God. Don't remove the sticker, though or it will void your warranty (sounds silly, but it's true).

MOBO is short for motherboard. And yes, that's good ram; Corsair is a good brand, 16gb is plenty, and 1600mhz is sufficiently fast. As far as I'm aware, 8gb per stick is the max at the moment. GSkill Trident Ram can run at 3000mhz or more, as I recall, but I don't think systems can take full advantage of it yet. Yes, the mobo should configure the correct XMP profile for the RAM. You can double check it with programs like CPUZ if you wish.

If you have an unlocked processor, you could overclock it, but beyond that I can't think of anything you'd want to change in the BIOS.

light001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
Ya man, i was just kinda bummed out that i cannot run metro last light @ 2x supersampling...like i can and in some spots i get a perfect 60 frames, but in others it drops down to like 45. so i wanted to push the card abit but...did not seem to work out very well...any ideas? i also play ff14 and wow, and notice that i lose some frames in towns/citys....dunno why....anyway appreciate the info.let me know if you have any suggestions.

O and i was told my processor "i5 3550" is locked but not completely locked....so i used the asus ai suite utilitie program and it boosted it from 3.3 to like 4.1 ghz i beleive...by itself...so i dunno yay i guess...i do check temps here n there and everything seems stable

no you didn't hurt your card. looks like you haven't even upped the voltage or llc to hold above 1.3v. go download a skynet custom bios for your card and start pushing it to 1.4ghz. your not going to burn anything up until you hit higher voltages.

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
If you want to push it a bit, you'll have to overclock the card. I'd keep upping the voltage and running OCScanner, looking at the temps to find the max voltage you can run. From there, you want to keep raising the clock speeds and stress testing/benching until you get your max stable overclock.

TRENDING THREADS