How to increase my internet speeds?

Auego

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Heya, I'm super clueless when it comes to routing and internet so sorry if I ask dumb questions!

I use my computer for somewhat heavy tasks like mmo gaming, livestreaming, and editing and sometimes at the same time. My pc specs are decent and when running task manager I can see that they're not even be used up all the way, so my assumption is a trash internet service when things get slow.
Am I correct in that internet may determine video buffer speeds, livestream lag and other stuff like that? I can't smoothly run things like 1440/2160p gaming videos just on youtube if that gives reference. For speed test I run about 40ping/20mbps download when connected to the router, but across the house I run about 2mbps... ha. ha. haa. (with asus usb-n13)

So basically I don't care if the connection is wired or if I need another isp, but what's the best way to up my internet speeds, especially across the house? I've seen those wall outlet ethernet adapters, would those work better than usb? Also any thoughts on at&t U-verse (what I have) or any other suggested provides?

Thanks so much and sorry that ended up very long!

Auego

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
It's currently on a new pc, but it's suuper slow, so I was wondering if a wired connection would be better. I can't have an ethernet cord running all the way through the house so I was wondering if the outlet ones would be almost as fast.
Thanks ^^

Roddy189

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Power Line Adapters are a good way to get a connection to a different area within the house and should keep speeds fairly high, I personally would choose those over wireless, otherwise I'd check out some newer routers if yours is getting old.