Black Screens During Games

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
As the title says, I get black screens in games that last for around ten seconds or so that then go away to bring the game back up again.

Here are my specs:
MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X64 965 3.4ghz quad core
F3-12800CL9-4GBRL (x2) ram
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670
Rosewill RP650-2 PSU

I recently upraded from the Geforce 460 to the 670. With the 460, I did not have this problem at all, it only appeared with the 670.

My understanding is that it has to do with the TDR and windows. I have shut off TDR, changed the delay, etc in the registries to no effect.

I have tried many other things as well:

Switched out the RAM
Switched out the PSU
Overclocked the card / underclocked the card
Fresh install of windows
New Hard Drive
Many different drivers
Tried the graphics card in an entirely different system, where the screen did not go black. It made it through the whole benchmark without a problem, so I decided to try it again and it made it through most of it before some of the textures got all messed up.

I have been using the heaven benchmark to test out if these work, as it also produces the blank black screens the games do.

Any ideas? Am I just to the point of RMA'ing the card?

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Oh and to clarify, my old card, the 460, went through the benchmark without a problem. Obviously it scored significantly lower, but the screen never froze or went black.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
I guess maybe you could try a couple of other things. Tweak with the settings in games, i.e. AA, texture filtering. I'm guessing you tried with multiple games.

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Yea I have tried a bunch of different settings and games. Its just weird. My old card will trudge through those same settings, obviously with a much lower frame rate, but will never freeze or black screen. This card does however, when there are no glitches / fps / heating issues at all.

Some games it plays without a problem, that I have found at least. Games with lower fidelity mostly. Like I have been trying it a lot with AC4, Witcher 2, and Batmak: AO, all of which will cause crashes. But I played quite a bit of Borderlands 2 without a hitch.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Something tells me it's not the card, but did you try loading safe mode? Maybe sift through the BIOS settings? I read something about the HD Audio BIOS settings messing with the card. Either way, I would still RMA it.

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah I've double checked a bunch of BIOS settings to make sure everything was running how it was supposed to and found nothing. I haven't tried safe mode, but what could I potentially find in there anyway? Or try even?