Separate 128Gb SSD purely for gaming?

mercuk

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I am thinking

1 x SATA 1TB
1 x SSD 128GB

Install Windows 7 individually/separately on both drives. Install games only on the SSD i.e. nothing else on the SSD i.e. no AV etc just windows and games

For normal PC use boot to the SATA, when gaming at boot up press F12 bios and boot to the SSD.

Anyone doing this?. Worth it?

mercuk

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Im guessing it won't ask. Depending on how i cable it I have assumed the PC will boot naturally to the SATA drive and therefore the SSD will just show as a second drive (D drive) at that point. To boot to the SSD pressing F12 at startup will give the bios option to boot to either drive. In theory it seems like a good way to have the best gaming performance setup i.e. gives me 2 PC's on one hardware setup.

MorkS

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I currently have 2x128 GB SSD as a RAID 0 and a 500GB SATA drive running my computer.

How I install applications:

For normal applications
- Windows + a couple of other programs that I use often on my SSD and the rest on my SATA drive.

For games
-I have demanding games (like BF, Total War etc...) that would typically have long load times on the SSD. The rest (like the Walking Dead Season 2) on my SATA drive because the load times are crazy low anyways.

To me, I don't think it would be worth it to have dual boot solution. Takes up space on both your drives for no reason. Since having a SSD, I will never have a PC that doesn't boot to SSD again. It makes such a huge difference.

mercuk

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Yes youre correct disconnect/install one at a time. i.e. treat them both as completely separate primary drives.

mercuk

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Reading the forums a popular config is OS on the SSD and games on the SATA. I was originally going to do that but I have a lot of software/programs installed (MS Office, Adobe Suites, Antivirus etc etc) which i always think are slowing the PC down. My idea above seems a good one in theory but I haven't read of anyone doing it.