Sign in with
Your question

Question about SLI and Crossfire X "support" video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2014 2:11:26 AM

Okay this might be a stupid question, but I'm new to graphics cards and PC gaming so give me a break if I sound dumb, but I've been shopping around for a new video card for my gaming rig with a low budget mainly between 100-200$ and I keep coming across SLI and Crossfire X "support" video cards, but for more money I can get the same exact card that's not a "support" model but I'm guessing the main model that the support model backs up. Say for example the ASUS gtx titan has a normal model and an SLI "support" model but the support model is cheaper. What is the difference and is it possible to just use the "support" model as a regular main solo graphics card without spending the extra money? And If I would spend the extra money what am I paying for other than slightly faster clock speeds?
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 7:50:25 AM

jledens said:
Okay this might be a stupid question, but I'm new to graphics cards and PC gaming so give me a break if I sound dumb, but I've been shopping around for a new video card for my gaming rig with a low budget mainly between 100-200$ and I keep coming across SLI and Crossfire X "support" video cards, but for more money I can get the same exact card that's not a "support" model but I'm guessing the main model that the support model backs up. Say for example the ASUS gtx titan has a normal model and an SLI "support" model but the support model is cheaper. What is the difference and is it possible to just use the "support" model as a regular main solo graphics card without spending the extra money? And If I would spend the extra money what am I paying for other than slightly faster clock speeds?

I think this is just some store claim thing. Both works fine single card. But why do you want to buy titan because 780 is faster. 780Ti is mch faster. And if you want to wait bit longer new 8 serie will beat all old cards.

Or buy two R9 290 :) 

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 8:46:47 AM

jledens said:
"What is the difference and is it possible to just use the "support" model as a regular main solo graphics card without spending the extra money?"

The "SLI Support" just means the manufacturer is trying to advertise that SLi is supported on the card. This is a moot dilineation, as all recent Nvidia cards are SLI-supported. Some manufacturers just differ on whether they advertise it on the box or not.

All cards work fine in Single-card configuration by design. Some cards are priced higher because the manufacturer raises the clock speeds on them because of the custom coolers they put on them, which could be the real difference you're seeing.

jledens said:
"And If I would spend the extra money what am I paying for other than slightly faster clock speeds?"

All you are paying for is the difference in clock speeds. Sometimes some cards have more memory than others (1GB vs 2GB, or 2GB vs 4 GB, etc.) but those are usually much bigger price differences. I would recommend the mid tier R9 270X AMD card, or an Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost or GTX 660 for your price budget, if you are looking for suggestions.

AxlFone - the 780 is *not* faster than the Titan. It's 90% of the Titan's power. At overclock, it can at best *match* the Titan. The 780Ti on the other hand is faster than both. However, it's a moot point, because all of those cards are beyond the OP's budget. He doesn't want to buy a Titan, he was using it to support his explanation of what he was seeing.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 10:07:57 AM

[quote[}]AxlFone - the 780 is *not* faster than the Titan. It's 90% of the Titan's power. At overclock, it can at best *match* the Titan. The 780Ti on the other hand is faster than both. However, it's a moot point, because all of those cards are beyond the OP's budget. He doesn't want to buy a Titan, he was using it to support his explanation of what he was seeing.[/quote]

Well prove that Titan is faster? And tell where it is faster :)  650Ti boost over Titan? Or 660? Old card why?
Why not GTX 760? with 2 or 4GB memory 760 is good choice. 770 is not much faster and price is not so much more than 650Ti boost 2GB do have.

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 11:04:53 AM

The 760 is outside of his price budget at $250 or higher. Did you even read his post??

The Zotac 780 AMP is Overclocked with a custom cooler, so that is not an accurate representation. The stock 780 with stock settings is not faster than the Titan, and the Titan can OC higher than the 780, just doesn't have any models that ship with custom cooling (minus the waterblock one)
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 11:26:10 AM

CraigN said:
The 760 is outside of his price budget at $250 or higher. Did you even read his post??

The Zotac 780 AMP is Overclocked with a custom cooler, so that is not an accurate representation. The stock 780 with stock settings is not faster than the Titan, and the Titan can OC higher than the 780, just doesn't have any models that ship with custom cooling (minus the waterblock one)

How about if you know video card's so well. Do you really know?
Must ask this because you can OC Zotac stock cooler 760 near as fast as the the 770.

So it is not the cooler than makes so much diffrent if you can OC or not?
http://extremespec.net/zotac-geforce-gtx-760-review-des...

EVGA do have dual bios versions of 760 / 770 / 780's
http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&fa...

Gigabyte do have GHZ edition was that 770? 780? Asus do have nice cards.. MSI too.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?it...

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 3:47:03 PM

What's your point? That you can overclock cards to get close to/sometimes beat the performance of their stock settings superior? Of course you can, thank you Captain Obvious. That's the point of overclocking. Transitively, you can also overclock your superior card faster than the inferior card can overclock. Who'da thunk? Too bad that has NOTHING to do with the answer that jledens is looking for.

So this little petty argument you're trying to have with me is pointless. The OP is asking about a $100-200 card and the "marketing" lingo behind them to make a decision about what the better purchase is, which I have explained adequately and given a good suggestion. The 760 is *not* a bad suggestion, and is a damn good card for the money/performance, but it's over his budget, granted only by $50, but it's over his budget of $100-200, so I didn't include it. The 650 Ti, 660, and R9 270X are all within his budget before tax/shipping, and are all decent recommendations for what he's looking for.
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2014 7:46:30 PM

Almost all of those same cards were $250 on Newegg when I price checked them before making my recommendation. I can't be held responsible for checking their price every day.

My recommendation still makes sense for Sub-$200, and I never denied the 760 was a good recommendation, I said it was above his price budget, which is still true, no matter how you swing it.

P.S. I politely corrected you, you took it personal and attacked me in every post, I didn't retaliate until my most recent one. The point still stands that from the beginning of the post, you barely even read the OP's post properly, so, maybe YOU should make sure you read stuff properly before you post information that is useless to the question, and write total bull.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2014 12:04:02 PM

I could, if I knew about it. You should not assume everyone knows the same websites.
January 10, 2014 9:20:59 PM

lol well I didn't mean to start a war on video cards but thank you all so much for the responses. You all have answered my question I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to order something that I couldn't use. I actually decided to up my price range to 300$ maximum for the graphics card but I definitely can't go any higher than that, and I've been browsing newegg for hours and I want to ask one more question I've narrowed my card list down to either:

2 Asus GTX 650Ti's 2GB and running them in sli, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

1 EVGA GTX 760 4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know they will pretty much be the same exact price but I'm trying to finish my machine off and make it so I won't have to put anymore money into it for a few more years and the only reason I'm tempted to go with the 2 650's is because I'm running a 650W power supply and they don't draw near as much power as the 760. Although I have been thinking about buying an EVGA 1300W PSU when newegg restocks them just so I wouldn't have to upgrade it if I do decide to put a second 760 in in the future since games get more and more demanding every day. What would you all do?

My system currently:
AMD FX-6350 Vishera
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB
8GB G-Skill 1066MHz Ram
1 Seagate TB HDD
650W Thermaltake PSU
Crappy LG Disc Drive
Palit NVidia GTS 250 1GB

What I'm planning to add to finish it:
8GB GSkill 1866 MHz --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate 240GB SSD --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 1300W PSU (if needed) --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and either of the two video cards above.

Any reccomendations or suggestions? I don't want to spend more than 850.00$ total before shipping and I'm right at 845$ with those components and video cards.
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2014 10:10:51 AM

Get the GTX 760 for now. Your 650W PSU will be more than enough for that. Also, your M5A97 board has two PCI-E lanes, but they run in 16x/4x configuration, making it non-ideal for SLI setups (you want 16x/16x, or 8x/8x), so you may want to spend the money on just a faster single card in that scenario.

If you decide to change out your motherboard for a 990FX series AMD board (most all 990FX have 16x/16x configurations), and a second 760, you don't need anywhere near 1300W. You should only need somewhere in the range of 750-850W for your PSU to SLI two 760s, so you can save some money there.
January 11, 2014 1:12:10 PM

That makes sense, I'll have to go with the GTX 760 then, my only concern with that is currently my GTS 250 calls for a PSU with 450W of power, which is the reason I bought the 650W PSU in the first place. Which worked perfectly fine on my Core 2 Duo LGA 775 setup because intel processors don't draw hardly any power at all even OC'd. But ever since I upgraded to the AMD FX 6350 processor it seems like I'm maxing out the PSU for lack of better terms. (At least that is the only logical theory I have, unless I have a faulty PSU.)

I'm currently overclocked to 4.46GHz with a multiplier of 22.0 and a bus speed of 202MHz and I'm Overclocking the ram from 1066Mhz to 1333MHz ish and I'm stable as long as I keep my disc drive unplugged, however as soon as I plug the disc drive in I constantly get windows crashes, it blue screens, then it reboots, sometimes it wont even make it into windows with the CD drive plugged in until I set my clock speeds back down to 4.0-4.1GHz or less. I mean I hardly ever use the Disc Drive anyway as I'm a big fan of Virtual Clone Drive and just mounting images of discs so it's not a big deal, it's really only used for windows installs. But honestly that's the only reason I believe that it's the PSU giving me problems I wouldn't have a clue what else it could be. Would you have any idea on what would cause that if it wasn't the PSU?

But if I am having problems out of my PSU (assuming that is the problem) with a graphics card that needs 450W and the GTX 760 needs 500W, I feel like I am going to have even more problems if I don't upgrade it I honestly wasn't sure if 1300W was going to be over kill or not, but if 750-850 would work for 2 GTX 760s in SLI I'll probably save 50$ and just buy the 1000W EVGA PSU to replace it, even if it's still a bit of overkill I feel like I'll get my money out of it in the long run assuming it lasts as long as a few of my older PSU's. Especially if I decide to put another GTX 760,770,780 after the prices come down in the next couple years, and I'll definitely end up throwing a 990FX in there at some point in the future as well.

By the way, thank you for being so helpful.

a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2014 2:25:09 PM

If you're OCing the 6350 to 4.46, that would definitely be increasing the power draw. The "recommendation" from Nvidia for 450W isn't the max use of the card, just what they recommend when considering all other components. The GTX 760 uses about 170W of power by itself. Your 6350 OC'd is probably the other large consumer of energy. I would say upgrading to 750 or 850W would give you plenty of headroom, but if you're willing to go up to 1000 for the future upgrades, it definitely can't hurt. Especially if you decide to overclock the 760s any.
January 11, 2014 2:56:28 PM

That actually makes more sense, I thought that their recommended rating is what the graphics card would draw at full load. I have a lot to learn about graphics cards apparently haha.

But that's more along the lines of what I was going for with a PSU something that would give me a lot of headroom or at least a few hundred watts more than I'll need so if I do decide to keep adding on a little at a time I wont have to worry about whether I'm going to have enough power to add certain components and I'd like to see if I can get my 6350 clocked somewhere in the 5.0Ghz range eventually. So I just think that would be my best option in the long run. But thank you for keeping me from the 1300W I knew it would be overkill I just didn't realize how much.

Again thank you so much for the help, I feel much more knowledgeable and informed now. You're awesome.
!