Watching 3D Movies with AMD Card on Nvidia 3D Vision Display

JayBob

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a new monitor, Asus VG248QE.
I own an AMD Card(6950) so I know that I cannot run games in 3D, but I was wondering if its possible to watch 3D Movies.
I have a test file which is Side by Side and have downloaded Stereoscopic player.
I also have a pair of cheap LG passive glasses and the 3D vision 2 active pair(for when I upgrade my GPU to Nvidia).

Is there any way I can watch a 3D movie with this setup? If not, is there something I am missing?
Or is it simply not possible to watch 3D movies until I upgrade my GPU to Nvidia?

Thanks.

Solution
The 3D vision capable monitors without the emitter built in, will not work with AMD, possible hacks not included. However, there are a few 3d vision monitors with built in emitters, that can through their HDMI port. This is usually done as a way to use DVD players in 3D. The Asus VG278H is one such monitor. The BenQ xl2420TX is one as well, if I recall right.

JayBob

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks Ninja I have already seen that thread but the method hasn't worked for anyone else and the op has not replied for a long time.
I don't think it ever worked, I wish it did because I could play 3D games as well, but don't think it's possible. Movies I'm not sure about though. Probably something simple but I've got no idea.

The 3D vision capable monitors without the emitter built in, will not work with AMD, possible hacks not included. However, there are a few 3d vision monitors with built in emitters, that can through their HDMI port. This is usually done as a way to use DVD players in 3D. The Asus VG278H is one such monitor. The BenQ xl2420TX is one as well, if I recall right.

Solution

JayBob

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Haha yeah I've already done the Google thing, it's been very frustrating :0

JayBob

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks bystander, I had come across people getting the movies to work but there was not enough detail given as to why. So I basically have the wrong Monitor and need one with a built-in emitter. It has HDMI but no emitter :(
Seems silly that if I buy a 3rd party emitter it doesn't work but oh well, don't know enough about it I guess.

So now I don't know whether to fork out for a new GPU(having a 2GB 6950 makes it seem a bit unnecessary atm) or try to swap this Monitor for a passive 3D display compatible with AMD.
The latter might not even be possible(with the store) and won't give me as good quality 3D, but at least I could get an IPS with much better PQ.

Thanks for your help!