Is there a way to install a driver w/o connecting to web?

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I have a new (used) desktop with Win7 and I'm trying to find a way to load drivers for my Linksys wireless-G USB54G adapter. I've been using it with XP for years but now the adapter isn't being seen by plug n play because there are no drivers installed.
I found drivers on Linksys Cisc site but whenever I try to install either the Installer, it has a Network timeout because there's no web connect and when I try to install the adapter driver it comes back with an http error because there is no web connect either. So how do you or where do you find drivers for the adapter that will install without having to make a web contact for latest versions? I'm in a catch 22 cycle here and need some assistance. The adapter works great with the WRT54 Linksys router for years with my primary desktop that has Win 8 installed.
It's 1:15a.m. here so I'll stay on for a few if there's anyone awake...

jeremyp79

Distinguished
If you cant get them over the web with the computer that needs the drivers, you can download them on your computer that does work on the web, and put them on a usb drive or a cd and transfer them to the "new" computer that way.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I did that and put them on a CD but the response is what I explained in my orig. letter...they are downloaded to my good pc cd and I transfer that CD to the win7 unit but what I said above happens...

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I down loaded the installer and the driver onto a CD from: http://www.official-drivers.com/downloadcenter/linksys-drivers/
which was ok, but the win7 unit keeps giving me the errors I already spoke of and correct, I don't have the setup disc.

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Use the installer from the link I posted above, not that site.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
me thinks that something a Linksys is messed up because if they only have ver 3 and I have ver 4, well, I'm searching for something higher than 4....

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Just because your adapter is version 4, does not mean that the driver labeled version 3 wont work. Being from the manufacturer, its the best bet to get a working driver, not from another source.

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

I think you're confusing hardware and software versions. The software is version 3.0, your hardware is version 4.0. Two diferent things.

If you have version 4.0, this is the software you need:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/driver/WUSB54Gv4_v3.0.1.0.exe

Download that, transfer it to the computer, run, should be good to go.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I went to the linksys site you recommended and the driver they have is for Vista...that doesn't sound as if that will work with win7....or will it? Sorry, my hardware version is 4.o...I really don't know what the software vers. is...hell, maybe 3 will work....??

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

It's probably the most likely to work, but I would suggest running the installer in compatibility mode. Do that by right clicking on the file, click on Properties, then select the Compatibility tab. Under compatibility mode, check the box that says "Run this program..." and in the drop down box select Windows Vista. Hopefully that will work enough to get the thing running, then see if Windows Update has a driver update available for that adapter.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Anubis, I went to the site, downloaded the file and seemed to work, But, when I unzipped it, it tells me it downloaded two files into a Linksys folder...when I go there the two files are a Vista file (nothing happens when I click on it) and the other file is X86 a sys. file and nothing happens. Obviously I must be doing something wrong, but what???

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Oh, it's one of THOSE, crimeny.

Okay do this:

1. Click the start (Windows logo) button and type Device then click Device Manager
2, Look for the device in the device manager that needs to be updated (should be identified with a yellow exclamation point).
3. Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software and select Browse Computer for Driver Software
4. Navigate to that folder you just extracted those files to, and select the .inf file (netr70.inf).

Let me know how that goes for you.

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
that seemed to work searching c: drive....it searched the c: drive, found the software and said it was installing it....but I couldn't get to that point of me selecting the folder/file....it was all done automatically...
I went back to the Device Manager and Network adapters and it's telling me that vers.3.0 is installed but....
no link to the internet...

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012

If it's installed and the device shows as working properly when you right click on it in the device manager and view the properties, you can probably use the Windows Network and Sharing Center to search for a wireless signal now.

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
ok, I'm now connected...had to go into tools of IE and set the parameters for it to work...
I really appreciate your time/expertise on this. Thanks again