IT Certification Advice

HecticPenguin

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hi all,

I'm an IT honours graduate who has recently started a 1 year IT/Networking internship.

I've been quite fortunate to land a job that will get me experience in a field relevant to my degree. I really want to make the most out of my time here so that when I leave I'll have an easier time on the job market.

Specifically, what certifications should I be working towards?

I currently have access to the tuition (through my work placement) for CCENT/CCNA up to CCNP so that is my first port of call (about halfway through the ICND1 syllabus at the moment) I'd like to be working towards my CCNP by the time my contract is up.

I'm also thinking of getting the CompTia A+ cert because I've seen a few helpdesk vacancies that have asked for it.

I'll mostly be applying for Networking or TechSupport roles.

Are there any other certs that you guys know of/would recommend?

Any help on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Comptia A+ is probably the most important, even if it isn't required it helps. For the rest, there are a lot of certifications, it's best to find a job you're interested in and try to meet the requirements.

olsaltydog

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I am currently in the field I like, but i just started school to finally get a degree to compliment the job I have. Kinda went backwards in the process. I am curious about the certs as well. From my job I know in a couple years down the road we will be required to all have A+, Network+, and Security + certifications. I work within the government but its becoming a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for nearly everyone working on base.

My question if you don't mind me adding into your topic is how valuable are the rest of the certs. The server, linux, storage + certs seem good if tailored to a specific job but have any of you seen or ever heard of a company evaluating certs not required for the job and taking that into consideration when evaluating potential employees. I ask because half the systems i work on now are windows the rest are linux based and we are getting more and more server systems, JBODS and even the windows systems are becoming more raid configured. Would gaining other certs outside requirements be beneficial or a waste of time and expenses.