Biostar TZ77A Motherboard Review

Hello Everyone,

I have a Biostar TZ77A motherboard. Practically no review sites have reviewed this board, and being that LGA 1155 is starting its slow phasing out its doubtful any of them ever will. So to help people considering to buy this motherboard I thought I would post my personal review of this motherboard.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
Z77 Chipset, allows full features of overclocking.

I bought the board for a total of $60. Amazing price

4 RAM slots

Plenty of PCI and PCI-E ports

The debug LED on board after booting will show the CPU temperature in real time.

Uses a HYBRID ISL6367 PWM chip. This helps to reduce power consumption and better manage the power draw of the processor. (See Other Thoughts)

Feels really sturdy. Unlike my old ASrock Extreme 4-M which felt like the weight of its parts would snap it in half.

I actually like the BIOS. Mouse doesn't work well, but it still seems pretty good. Anyone who is used to using a keyboard in BIOS will feel right at home.

CONS:
This board definitely has some issues that I think Biostar needs to address. First, let me point at that we have another motherboard manufacturer lying about the hardware on board. I am talking about the power phases. Printed directly on the motherboard, it says "8 Phase CPU Power". This is a complete lie. It makes use of a ISL6367, which details a maximum of 6-Phases for CPU or Memory and a single additional phase that can be used for a few different components. This chip only allows for a maximum of 7-phases. While its possible there is a second chip capable of working with this one under the heat spreaders, I question if they would add another chip given the added cost.

Max FSB increase I have been able to get stable is 103. Anything higher causes instability. This is relatively low compared to others which can potentially hit 110. The motherboard does give itself a bump in speed ranging from .25-.50Mhz though, and for an LGA1155 system its really not terrible.

I find the placement of the LED to be a bad choice. My graphics card completely covers it up, but it is still easily view-able diagonally. However, the BIOS battery is right beside it, and I think they should be switched. It would get the LED about an inch further from the GPU. That would be enough in my system to make it completely view able. So it seems a poorly thought out placement.

As others have mentioned on websites, this board has audio trouble. I question if the audio chipset is about to go out. Using the Audio header to connect to audio ports on the front of my case do not seem to be functioning. Using the back audio ports I get audio, but it is anything but clear. It sounds like it has a lot of interference and other noise. For a fairly high end onboard audio codec, this shouldn't be happening. Many other motherboards with the same audio chip do not report this problem. Biostar claims to use a feature called "Clean Tone 2" which is just an added capacitor on each audio channel to help remove noise. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with their audio setup and they attempt to fix it with a few extra capacitors, but it doesn't work. So if you buy this board expect you may need to use HDMI or a sound card for audio.
Onboard SPDIF header might as well not exist. For the price it costs to get one, you can buy a full sound card.

Seems to have s little compatibility issues with my AMD Radeon HD 7850s, but it might have been a different issue. It only came up while trying to overclock the FSB, and the system wasn't stable at higher than 103 anyways so its not much of a concern.

Cannot use CPU offset to lower CPU voltage. Only increase voltage. It might have issues overclocking. I cannot tell you for sure. I think my i7-3770k is defective for a few reasons, but at first I got it to 4.3Ghz stable without a voltage increase, and the stability vanished despite passing stress tests. So I think the board will overclock well, but it might not. Its default max voltage for an i7-3770k is 1.250v, and stress testing at 4.3Ghz showed it never passed 1.188v. This is in the default voltage mode though, using "Voltage Offset" the voltage for some reason tends to run higher even without increasing it.

Final Thoughts
Alright so with such a long list of cons, you are probably wondering why I gave it
a 7 out of 10. Well for one thing the price is excellent for what you get. It has some issues, its not perfect, but I only paid $60, right now its selling for $80 and that still seems a fair price to me.

I have mentioned the ISL6367 PWM chip twice before. The power design would push this down an additional egg, but having a hybrid design counters it. ASrock completely lies about their power design saying its digital, but its really analog. Digital and hybrid are better than analog, hence why its an advertised feature. Well this board might lie about having an 8-phase CPU power design, but it has a hybrid power design and doesn't even mention it. For those of you unsure what this means, pretend electricity is water flowing in the PC. The more phases, is like adding more channels for the water to flow through making it more stable and flow better. Analog design is like just that, you have streams nothing more. Digital is like you have the streams but you also have complete control over the incoming water so you control how much comes into those streams better. Hybrid is in between, and like you can have some effect on the incoming water but not completely control.

Long story short, it allows for more stable overclocking, and I think this makes up for the lies on the number of phases.

The audio chipset would be a bigger deal a few years ago. If it goes out, I do plan to send it to be fixed. But like a lot of people I use HDMI for video and audio and don't worry about the sound card so much. I am getting a sound card for SPDIF for a wireless headset I have, but with how cheap this board is I have extra cash for a sound card which is a lot better anyways.

The other issues are fairly minor and I just don't think it warrants at the price taking off too many points. Compared to most Z77 motherboards that fall around $120 or higher, with this you can get a sound card and additional units to fix the problems. I am happy with it. I meant it to replace a broken board in my brothers computer, but instead I put it in my own system and I am fairly pleased. It's not perfect, but its still pretty good.If you need a motherboard, I would highly recommend it.

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I also have a Biostar TZ77A, I bought it because I always had good luck with the old Biostar boards that was in my old PC's in the 90's and around 2003. I wanted to build a new gaming Rig to replace my aging i5 750, I wanted to go with a ivy bridge i5 3470 and I was on a tight budget, So I was very pleased to find this board for $63 dollars. It has the same set of features my MSI P55-GD65 motherboard had. So I jumped on it. I have been running it for a week now and so far (knock on wood) I have had no issues with it. I think the on-board sound on mine sounds very good. I hope the reported sound issues are just a fluke. I would hate for it to start to go bad on me. So far I am very happy with this board. I love the way the bios is set up. It is so easy to overclock my processor. My 3470 is a non K so it is limited, But I can still get some pretty good gains in overclocking. I gave it just a moderate bump by setting all my cores to 3.7ghz. Also the VRM stays cool, This surprised me because it looked like the heatsinks didn't touch anything. Also I have no idea why IInuyasha74 says it is not a 8 phase motherboard, It is definitely a 8 phase motherboard. I honestly can't find anything wrong with this motherboard except it only does crossfire and not SLI, And the main PCIe 3.0 slot sets a little to close to the processor. But other than that it is perfect and so far no flaws at all. And at $63 bucks, It is amazing.
I just hope it stays reliable. A motherboard with this many features costing only $63 dollars does make you wonder about the quality of the build and it's longevity. But hopefully it stays solid. I give this board a perfect score.

Hello, glad to hear your motherboard is working out well for you so far.

The onboard audio seems to be a bit more than a fluke. More users are reporting trouble with it than anything else, but honestly it seems less important now days because a lot of people use HDMI Audio and those who don't could buy a sound card with better performance for cheap.

For the power phases, there are a few reasons I question that it is an 8-phase motherboard.
First, it claims to be 8-phases to the CPU, and this is completely wrong. There are what appears to be 8 chokes for 8 phases around the CPU, but if you were to look up the power control chip, the "ISL6367", you would learn that it isn't capable of giving 8-phases to the CPU. Not only that, but it isn't capable of running 8-phases at all. While it is possible, as I mentioned, that Biostar made use of a second chip that works with the ISL6367 to add additional power phases to the motherboard, it seems very strange that they would put it on such a low cost board or only make use of one additional phase if they did use it. It just doesn't make sense.

My best explanation as to why it appears to have 8-phases, is that they are one of the phases through twice as many chokes and moffsets. This would help probably, but it wouldn't help as much as having an additional phase.

Regardless the board does run great. I would say you probably don't have to worry about stability too much. I recently bought a higher end Asus motherboard mostly because I needed additional SATA ports which I question if it will die any day now as it freezes on the splash screen almost every other time I boot. While the Biostar board still runs like a champ.

It is kind of a trade off with them. They seem to be stable, with some extra features, and all the important features working.

However if you heck reviews it seems most of everyone has had the audio either not working at all or working badly. Then the bigger problem, for me at least, is that it has compatibility issues. Several people in reviews mentioned issues with RAID controllers, I tried a cheaper different brand RAID controller which caused the system to crash. I tried another one, and it had the same result.

Still it is stable, honestly after having it my views of Biostar have gone up considerably, before I didn't trust them at all, now I think they are very stable just have some other issues.

I trust Gigabyte and MSI more than anyone else.
Asus I think are typically good, but I have one now which isn't that old and has several problems.

Then ASrock I don't trust at all. I wouldn't ever buy from them again.

I don't believe it. Every ASrock board I have had has had issues, and their customer support never answers no matter what you do. Compared to the other boards and makers who have been more stable and all of the companies respond better faster.

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I never have any problems with raid or anything (knock on wood). It is also the coolest running system I have ever owned too. I would like to have a more powerful GPU, the R9 270 a re-badge of the 7870 is ok but, it is no powerhouse.

The Intel on-board RAID controller works perfectly. I used it and it performs a little slow but for the most part it was good and worked well. Its RAID add-on cards that are problematic.

The 7870 has quite a bit of power really, have you tried overclock it more? I use a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7850, which is the same Pitcarin GPU core as the 7870 but with 256 less shaders and a few less texture units and ROPs. The 7870 typically runs at 1000Mhz and the 7850 normally runs at 860Mhz, but mine is running at 1200Mhz currently with like a 1% power increase so it runs at about the same speed making it close to the performance of the stock speed 7870. I find it to have a lot of power for playing games and its maxed out everything I have ever tried except Tomb Raider with AA maxed out.

The point being if you need a little more power there may still be quite a bit of room for you to improve it.

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Almost two years now and still going strong, No problems with on-board audio at all. I never used HDMI since I have a custom speaker set-up that has a regular 3.5mm jack. So I have used the on-board since day one. About the only thing I have done to this rig is replace my R9 270 with a GTX 970. I am surprised yours being identical would have a ISL6367, Mine has a IR3580. Maybe your mistaken, Or maybe your board is a older revision.