Error Loading OS, Windows Hard Drive Not Detected (SOLVED)

Benwedgie

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I looked all over for a solution to this, but nothing. The problem was that after working for months, I switched on my custom built computer to find the "Error Loading OS" message on the screen. I tried the following things to fix it (none of them worked).

1. Inserted the Windows 7 install disk to see if it would boot with that loaded in the DVD drive.
2. Tried to do a repair with the windows 7 disk, but it couldn't find the operating system.
3. Loaded Ubuntu 12.10 " to try" (old disk i had laying around) and found a boot loader repair option there, but it didn't work. Ubuntu was able to find the hard drive so I backed up my data to an external HD in anticipation of step 4. It was already backed up in 3 other places, but I'm paranoid.
4. Tried to re-install windows 7 but it couldn't find the hard drive. However, it could find my other two secondary hard drives.

Here's what worked:

I opened the case and disconnected the other two secondary drives and booted it up (all are SATA drives). It worked fine. The strange thing was that it looked like an Avast update was trying to install at the time because I got a message that it installed successfully. Next, I shut down the PC and plugged in one of the other hard drives. It booted fine. Then I shut it down and plugged in the last hard drive. It booted fine.

I have no idea why this worked. But it worked.