Best Of CES 2014: Tom's Hardware Recognizes 12 Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Not too sure about the Sapphire choice. MSI IMO has the best set of coolers this year. Based on some reviews out there, it looks like they have the best 780ti card IMO. Will be looking forward to the head to head matchups for 290x.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Not too sure about the Sapphire choice. MSI IMO has the best set of coolers this year. Based on some reviews out there, it looks like they have the best 780ti card IMO. Will be looking forward to the head to head matchups for 290x.
This version Tri-X is the new cooler from Sapphire and it really is probably the best open air cooler that exist today. Furmark temp only 74C with noise only 43dB. That's awesome. You can read its preview in http://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290

Corsair Cherry MX RGB? Forums are filled with people that have reported problems with their backlit keyboards. LEDs that last a couple weeks, then go out. I give them props for using mechanical switches, but that's where the props end (and it's not even something innovative, has been done for decades). As far as backlighting goes, they have the worst record by far. Just because something is shiny doesn't mean it gets the prize. It needs to withstand the test of time, and I would take any Corsair KB praise with a huge grain of salt.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
That monitor is hot. While AMD might have freesync, it sounds to me like freesync is a backhanded attempt to catch up with Nvidia on their innovation. Even if freesync does catch on, it should be compatible with Gsync monitors, no?, so why not just get something now that offers longterm flexibility in terms of options instead of waiting to see. if only they could get IPS and lightboost somehow added in.. mmmm..

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
That monitor is hot. While AMD might have freesync, it sounds to me like freesync is a backhanded attempt to catch up with Nvidia on their innovation. Even if freesync does catch on, it should be compatible with Gsync monitors, no?, so why not just get something now that offers longterm flexibility in terms of options instead of waiting to see. if only they could get IPS and lightboost somehow added in.. mmmm..

Serpent of Heaven

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Free-Sync is apart of the VESA Standards. In theory, I could also be used with TVs, other displays, and laptops. This could also be used by your PS4 and Xbox Ones because of the AMD APUs is running the heart of the consoles. All hardware from the AMD 5000 Series and above, can utilize Free-Sync with the help of a Driver.Free-Sync is just one of many techs AMD had hiding on the side for the past 3 years. Some other examples would be Stacked Ram on the GPU like NVidia's Volta. Volta is the successor to Maxwell. AMD has already researched and made prototypes a few years go. They are just allowing NVidia to market these goodies for them because they are good at making a "big deal" about those new types of techs. AMD doesn't need to do a lot of work with the PR of the products when NVidia throws $$$ at the publicity of similar innovations. This equates to saving money on AMD's end.The ROG monitor is nice, but it's a TN panel. It will have it's up and downs with the addition of NVidia's G-Sync. Plus, besides that $799.99 price tag, you'll have to run firmware and driver updates for G-Sync with the NVidia WHQL and Beta Drivers. Translation: Don't expect it to work 100% up to specifications, all the time. There is bound to be some drivers that will cause issues with G-Sync. The same could be said about Free-Sync, but with all bases, a majority believe that AMD Drivers are still pretty bad. Lately, they've actually been getting better and better.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
For those who don't like clicking a dozen pics...The Best Of CES 2014 Graphics Card: Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 Mobile Platform: Nvidia Tegra K1 Case: Zalman AHV Computer Case Z15 Storage Device: LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 Gaming Peripheral: Corsair Cherry MX RGB Notebook: Lenovo Carbon X1 Automotive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan With Blue Link Monitor/Display: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Platform: Gigabyte Brix Pro Mobile Device: Huawei Ascend Mate 2 With LTE Outside The Box: Razer Project Christine Most Innovative Technology: Oculus Rift

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Id give an award to Toyota for their Hydrogen Fuel Cell car they plan to sell next year. That car really is interesting and innovative for the consumer car market. there were quite a few eye catching projects in CES this year despite the tsunami of UHD and curve tvs that nobody honestly seems to care about.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
As for the Zalman case; motorized parts as such just add to the cost. Bleh. If you want silent or extreme cooling, it's simple enough to buy the affordable, and nice looking case without all the extra bunk to break. Just my opinion.LOVE the idea of the coming Cherry Keyboard though. As long as it's smooth. I have two Corsairs, one is perfect, one is horrible and been replaced twice. Needs BLACK or Clear switches!!!

FloppyNacho

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
No one really knows anything about Freesync's real-world use so its really pointless to get so worked up about it. Before you start waving flags...

Status
Not open for further replies.