Options on how to connect 3 monitors (extended desktop)

chambers7

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I currently have a nVidia GT630 running 2 monitors, but would like to use a third monitor I have lying around.

I have been looking around at the options I could go with, but would like peoples opinions.

Specs:
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard with AMD 760 chipset (1x PCI-e slot)
AMD Bulldozer 6-Core 6100 @ 3.30GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GT630 Graphics Cards

I will use the centre monitor (24") for any gaming that I do, and the two side monitors (17") for web browsing, YouTube and Skype mainly. I have looked at new graphics cards, especially the 7850 as it seems to be recommended by lots on here.

Would love to hear what the best way is to connect my 3 monitors.

chambers7

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Thanks for replying!

I like the idea, the 7790 looks like a nice card for what I want.
By doing this, would the 3 screens still be able to run as extended desktop? I read something about my motherboard not being able to support using two cards together, but I may be wrong.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
Your motherboard can't support two PCIe cards cuz it only has one slot, but there's no reason it can't support one card on PCIe and the other on PCI-legacy. And yes you should be able to squeeze the 7790's monitor in between the two 610 monitors.

A different option is to get a GTX650 or higher, and run all 3 monitors from that, but that will mean that your card has to use some resources for the other two screens which would take away from the main gaming screen.

If you could find an even cheaper 2-monitor PCI-legacy card, even a used one on Kijiji or someplace, that might be good. Leaves you more money for the central gaming monitor / card.

If you were to do the single powerful card approach, I'd stick with nVidia since AMD forces you into DisplayPort for the third monitor and that's a headache (need special active adapters which cost $30+)

But let's also see what ideas others come up with.....