Seeking component advice for a new computer build.

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I want to build a computer with my son and would be grateful for some component recommendations.

I currently have a 4/5 year old Lian Li case (size 19.5” x 17.5” x 8.5”) with an Asus motherboard (size 9” x 11”) and Antec power supply. I also have HDD’s and a DVD RW drive. I don’t game but my son might when he gets a bit older. I am not looking for a top end system, rather something fast and reliable and especially quite (it will be in my bedroom). I will be using Windows 7.

Q. Can I use the above components for a new build?

Q. Can someone recommend 1) a reliable/versatile motherboard; 2) An Intel CPU; 3) 16GB memory; 4) a fast but quite graphics card; 5) A quiet fan. Is there anything else I need?

Q. I currently have a Q6600 with 8GB DDR2 memory. Will I notice a significant performance boost with new components or should I wait another year or two?
Thank you!

Kamran Memmedli

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Hi go for asus mobos they are super. And for games i recommend i5 cpu. Cpu cooler cooler master hyper 212 evo and go for nvidia video cards i recommend 770 (300-350$) and what is you budget?

Oleonius

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Personally, I think that for about 800-1200$, you would have a great PC for the 3-5 years.

- Yes, in a future build, you could re-use the DVD drive, the HDD and possibly the power supply depending on the wattage. For the RAM, I suggest you upgrade for DDR3 memory. As you save some money, you could invest in a SSD for additional storage and more speed, but also a new case. They are pretty great and affordable alternatives on the market right now !

- For motherboards, ASUS and Gigabyte are among the best brands, known for making reliable boards with lots of features. Can't go wrong with something from these two brands.

- For the Intel CPU, a Core i5 would be plenty of power for everything, even running all games you can think of in the future. Check for the Core i5 4670K.

- You don't need 16 GB of RAM, unless you are doing intensive tasks like rendering, video and photo editing. A kit of 8 GB is more than enough.

- I recommend NVIDIA for the video card. A GTX 760 or GTX 770 would be perfect !

- For quiet fans, I highly recommend you take a look at Corsair SP and AF Quiet Edition fans or NF-P12 from Noctua. You could also buy a case that have acoustic foam such as the Fractal Design Define R4 or the Corsair Carbide 330R.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask them. Have fun building !