Upgrading PC with an AMD APU

3sper2o2

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Ok so, I know some of these are probably going to be noob questions but here goes.

I have an AMD A8-5500 apu, I'm looking to increase graphic performance, I already know that you can add a discreet graphics card like a hd 6670 for dual graphics but realistically how much of a performance increase would i see? Mostly used for gaming, some photo editing, and scripting. Dont really need to run games on ultra settings just would like to be able to run most new-ish games reliably without putting too much strain on my system.

Or is it just worth upgrading to an A10 and a better card to use dual graphics with that?

Or finally should I just say screw it and build a better PC that doesn't use an apu?

If the last idea is actually the best one, I'm open to suggestions for what combo of processor/motherboard/graphics card I should use.

Keep in mind im a broke IT student so don't have tons of cash to spare on building a new one. (sucks but thats life)

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
your best bet is to get a 7850/7790 or graphics card around that range you'll be maxing most games out and then wait for the new fm2 socket full cpu's to out (most of the time they come out a few months after the new apu's) and get the quadcore 4.0ghz + and you'll max every game out