Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming rig formula, and much needed advice.

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2014 4:46:58 PM

Hey guys/girls, I've been haunting the forums on and off over the years and have built maybe 9-10 rigs since the early 2000s. I am most definitely not an expert, but I know a few things.

As income tax time arrives, my hunger grows restless in preparation for my next gaming rig, though since my last machine (which I built 3 years ago or so), much has changed obviously.

I have a few questions which I suppose I am wrapping in one package, but if that isn't how things are typically done here, I'll ask on the individual forum.

Forgive my lack of originality in presenting my list of components lol.

-HAF 912 Case (Case my current build sits in.)

1.Intel Core i7-4930K Processor - Six Core, 12MB L3 Cache, 3.4GHz(3.9GHz Max Turbo), Socket LGA2011, 130W, Unlocked, OEM (BX80633I74930K)

2.ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard - ATX, Socket R (LGA2011), Intel X79 Express, 1866MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCI-Express 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI

3.Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - DDR3, 2 x 8GB, 1866Mhz, DIMM, CL 10, 240 Pin, 1.5V - KHX18C10AT3K2/16X

4.EVGA 03G-P4-2781-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

5.Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

6.SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My main goal is gaming of course, though not maxing out frames to the limit etc. and I won't be overclocking anything, nothing against it, but I just assume buy beefy enough components as not to have to.

So now for my questions..

1. Cooling.. There are countless water coolers as you all know, stock kits from big brand companies, in addition to highly expensive but super high quality custom kits. I have to be honest, I am very disinterested in water cooling. I do realize it's superior at what it does and I don't dispute that in any way. However I have read enough horror stories about leaks, pump noise and other issues that I'm not feeling it at all. Meanwhile, I am seeing awesome silent coolers like the infamous Noctua, and I see no reason why that would not be adequate for the Ivy-Bridge e, as it eats less power than the Haswells if I understand correctly. According to what I have read, Ivy Bridge es don't seem to give off nuclear heat waves, so the Noctua or it's equivalent seems like it would be adequate. Anyone disagree?

2. Power supply. I won't be running SLI mode and so there won't be another card added at any point. The Video card I listed says 600 watt minimum. I believe the I7 runs on 130 watts. This is where my tech knowledge comes to an end. Do I need to literally add up the wattage of all components to get an idea of what I need to fuel it wattage-wise? If so, I could possibly need an 800.. Do any of you guys foresee me needing a bigger PSU? I was hoping I could use the 650 watt one I'm currently using. It's super quiet and has not given me a problem since I built this machine a few years ago.

I realize countless people pick your brains every day, and many of you take the time to write responses with little to know real reward, so when I say thank you in advance for your replies, I am being sincere.
a b 4 Gaming
January 11, 2014 5:12:11 PM

I'll attempt to answer your questions:

1. Agree, you might want to read these two articles -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nepton-280l-tundra-...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-heat-sink-hasw...

2. I would hesitate to go with anything smaller than a 600W quality PSU from Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (except the CX series) or Antec. Your current PSU should be sufficient unless you plan on overclocking, although it may still suffice for a time. But since you do not plan on overclocking, then I would be comfortable saying your current PSU is fine.
a b 4 Gaming
January 11, 2014 5:28:27 PM

Good build and good choice of components:

- You won't need a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM for gaming, unless you do more intensive tasks like rendering and video/photo editing. A Core i5 and 8 GB of RAM would be plenty to run all your games.

- You shouldn't have only an SSD for storage. I suggest you buy an SSD for at least your OS and security suite, and a HDD for your games and programs.

- Don't cheap out on the PSU. Instead, go with a widely trusted brand in power supplies such as Seasonic or XFX and be sure to pick a power supply with high certification and modular cabling. They are a bit more expensive but well worth the money. I also suggest you buy one with 750W of power. This way, the unit will run cooler and quieter, with some power to spare if you need it.

- I'm not a fan of watercooling. There are some air coolers like the Phanteks PH-TC14PE or the Noctua NH-D14 that cools better and are far more quieter than AIO coolers like the H100 for example. Plus, they are cheaper and you don't risk any liquid leaking in your computer if they break.

- The case is great and if you want to keep it, it's a personal choice. But, in case you want to change it, I higly recommend you take a look at Corsair and Fractal Design enclosures. They are very high quality and pretty affordable.

Have fun building !
Related resources
January 11, 2014 6:33:07 PM

Thanks guys, super helpful articles, and great advice Animal and Oleonius. I agree about the power supply, and I will very likely get something around 750-800 watts, though I'm hoping my current PSU will suffice just long enough to confirm that all my components are working with no defects. For a guy that doesn't make a ton of money working 40+ hours a week, I seem to have chosen a relatively expensive set of components lol. Basically buying one component every two weeks or so with left over money after bills etc. I was thinking of the I7 more so for longevity and avoiding any kind of overclocking while still getting sweet, though perhaps not epic framerates.

The one thing I hate about trying to accumulate current/high end gear on a budget, is having something sitting on a shelf and being unable to even test it. I did that with my current AMD machine and got very lucky as it has got to be the most stable system I've ever built. I suppose patience will make it sweeter in the end though. My income tax will hopefully cover what my overtime can't lol. Thanks again guys, going to peek at those cases you mentioned now.
a b 4 Gaming
January 11, 2014 6:35:30 PM

Happy we were able to assist you. Good luck with your build and hope you have excellent results! :) 
!