Dual Monitor problem - Windows 7...

omonoiatis9

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Guys I've been having this problem for ages and not a single expert so far has been able to provide me with a solution... It's the weirdest computer problem I've ever encountered and the only one i haven't been able to solve so far even after spending hours on google looking for similar issues.

I run Windows 7 with a GeForce GTX 660 Graphics card. I was able to run dual monitor display for a while normally until one day my second monitor decided that it wants to automatically shut itself down any time i told it to work.

What basically happens is when I try to extend my display to both monitors, the second monitor shows the desktop properly for a second before immediately going black.

Now here's the WEIRD part. There's NOTHING wrong with my hardware. Not the monitors nor the graphics card. Why I say this? Because once in a while when nVidia releases a new graphics card update, if I extend monitors while it's updating, sometimes it will work and my second monitor will not tell itself to immediately shut down like it always does. And voila, I finally have 2 monitors, BUT, only until the next time I turn off the computer or my second monitor is disabled (e.g. if i dont use the computer for some time). Then when I come back and move the mouse, the monitors come back to their working state but once again the second one goes black immediately.

So sometimes when there's an nVidia update i get it to work for a day, then it stops working at all again the second i disable it. What the hell is going on, how do I fix this?

This is clearly something software related with Windows that got something fucked up in its system and constantly tells my second monitor to shut down, keep for some random exceptions that occur when a new graphics card update is released that apparently tells the system to behave otherwise, but then again I dont know why it stops working after the next disable. This has really been getting on my nerves

omonoiatis9

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
An Acer AL1716 and a Samsung Syncmaster T22A300. No I didn't install any software, they didn't come with software. Even if I did though would it be relevant? As I said they did work just fine for a period of about 3 weeks. If there was any software change I could pinpoint that started causing the problems I would've included it in my post. My bet however is that this compatibility issue is Windows 7 related or BIOS related and might have something to do with voltage/power saving settings, I don't know

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
Did you try:

1 - restore system to an earlier point in time to see if any installed packages could have affected it

2 - try the card in another computer to see if it's a hardware issue like overheating of a GPU chip (maybe part of it became separated from the heat sink)

3 - try other inputs / outputs like VGA or HDMI if available to see if it's tied to a specific port

TRENDING THREADS