Overclocking one core and underclocking others

Dawek

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Helo guys,
I have AMD phenom II x4 965 BE (running on stock 3.4 GHz) and I was wondering whether it is possible to overclock just one core and underclock other cores since some programs as well as few games i play can use only one core so the performance of 3 others is literally wasted.

btw. I'm asking question on this forum for the first time, so I donť know what details should I post.

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Turbo boosting individual cores is something that has come in recently, i am afraid. I think you could clock 3 cores a little higher if you turned one off, but it isnt garranteed.

Dawek

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that it is even possible to turn a core off. However I need to clock only one core, so these three could be slightly underclocked (or even turned off as you said that it is possible). So could it be possible to oc one core like to 4 GHz if I underclock other 3 to 3 GHz or so?

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
i know if you use for intel anyway intel extreme tuning utility you can change to multiplier for individual core so i assume you can do something like that for amd processors

Dawek

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, in AMD overdrive is possibility to change multiplier of cores indipendently, but as far as I have read, I didn't see any positive onpinions about the AMD overdrive, so I don't know whether I should trust it.