1GB Hardware reserved memory!!

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
first off specs :

1.8Ghz intel c2d
Geforce GTX460 - 1gb edition
4gb installed memory DDR2 pc2-5300 333mhz(2x2gb ~single channel)
Windows 8.1 64bit
mobo- stock aspire sa90 mobo(sis chipset 671/fx/dx/mx)

No comments about me needing an upgrade ... well that ain't gonna happen for quite a while

the problem is :
1gb hardware reserved memory as per the resource monitor with 4 gig installed... that didn't happen when i had only 3gigs of ram happend only after i upgraded to 4gig ... both sticks are identical.

i checked nvidia's control panel and it showed 1024mb shared system memory ... why the heck is it sharing 1gig ram with my system and if its shared shouldnt it give it back when the os needs it .... dosent seem to be doing that :/

this is just bugging i run matlab on this system and quite a bit of gaming too.
and matlab is damm memory intensive and my mobo will not handle any more memory beyond 4gig :/

so how can i reclaim this hardware shared memory ... and why the heck does a 1gig gpu need 1gig of ram when i only run @ 1024X720

Help ~~Bugging

Its the VRAM probably. A GPU keeps a set amount of RAM as its memory in case it does not come with dedicated memory.

That is irrespective of resolution.

Maybe someone else can provide a better explanation.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

welll previously i had 1.5 gigs of ram and t shows 512 mb of shared memory in the nvidia control panel but windows always reported 1.5 gb as accessible this happened only after 4 gb