Fanless Budget GPU

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Anyone have any experience with fanless GPUs?

I'm building a system with an FX-6300. It won't be doing any gaming, but it obviously needs a GPU. While I need something with at least 1 HDMI and 1 DVI output, performance isn't much of a concern. I don't want to end up with overheating issues or shoddy build quality, though.

This will be going into a standard mid tower case, so half-height isn't a necessity. As for budget, the lower the better. I'm expecting to pay between $20-$50.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
some of the cards linked above are NOT silent, they have fans.

the ASUS GT610 1GB Silent is, well, silent. it has no fans, but a large heatsink that takes up 2 slots. it has DVI, HDMI, and VGA, and you can use any 2 of them at the same time (I use DVI and HDMI)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121641

ASUS_GT610_1GB_0.jpg
asus_gt610sl1gd3l.jpg

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Actually none of the card liste up there, except the MSI 6450, which is said beforehand that it's a fan gpu, acutally make noise. They're all just passive heatsinks and what if the 6450 has a heatsink 2 slots big? If he has a Midi tower case, I think he can fit it in...

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
you can clip the images out when quoting :p

yeah, agreed that in a mid-tower case having a double-wide heatsink is no big deal. I use that in my own case anyways as the last card on the end of the motherboard.

but I've had cards with small fans and they can be really annoyingly noisy, so I can see where the OP is coming from. and if he wants a fanless, then I wouldn't show him ones with small fans. maybe he's already tried the small fan ones and found them to be annoying.

in reality, he (OP) could likely buy any good card, and just unplug the fans as long as he's not going to be running the card that hard. especially if it's one of those cards with the heatpipes through the heat sink. unplug the fans and promise never to run the card hard.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Unplugging the fan seems like a pretty risky idea. I won't even be the one using the finished PC, so that's not really an option. It's not so much that I'm concerned about noise, I just know this build doesn't need GPU power, so if I'm buying a weak GPU anyway why not find one that's fanless.

I'll probably go with either a 610 or 6450, the difference between them appears to be minimal.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

They are the same, so it comes down to personal preference.

Good Luck.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

yup, either/or would work. see which one you can buy locally for cheap enough, or which one has better rebates, or free shipping, or comes with a fuzzy bear attached to a 16-year-old blondie. 16 is legal, right?