Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best GPU for Video Editing and Gaming together

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

What Graphics Card do you think will best suit my needs?

Total: 5 votes

  • R9 280X
  • 0 %
  • GTX 780
  • 60 %
  • GTX TITAN (kind of iffy on the pricepoint)
  • 40 %
January 12, 2014 7:33:32 PM

Hello community,

I am looking into getting a new GPU, now that my old HD6850 is literally a potato sitting in my PC.

My Current Specs:
ASUS M5a97 R2.0 (Supports XFire but not SLI)
FX-8350 (OC'd to 4.4Ghz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair RM1000 (1000W)
Radeon Gigabyte HD6850 OC'd @905Mhz Core
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Scout Case (10.5in MAX for GPU)



What I am looking for:
I am looking for a GPU that will handle graphic intensive games very well (duh). Also video editing and fast render times are essential to me. I would like a GPU that can render a 1080p video in Premiere Pro faster than real-time (lets just say 15m in like 10m or so?). My current Radoen HD 6850 can render a 15 minute 1080p video in about 16 minutes-ish. If I were to rate whether Gaming or Editing was more important, I would say about a 55/45 ratio favoring Editing.


What I have considered:

- EVGA GTX 780 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Concern: Might not be able to deliver the rendering performance I want, as Nvidia focuses
on Gaming Not Editing.

- MSI R9 280X (Though not really appealing to me now that they are bumped up $100)
Concern: Price to Value ratio might sacrifice Gaming Performance for AMD's better Editing
Performance and Compute Performance.
I am also concerned on whether or not CUDA will work better than OpenCL in
Premiere Pro and After Effects CC (OpenCL not supported at all in AE) - worth
sacrifice in gaming??

- EVGA 780 AND HD6850 (780 for gaming and 6850 for Render times, as I am satisfied with my
6850's render times and I could still put it to use. YES i know I would not be able
to run them in conjunction, but could I use them as mentioned above? 780 for
games and 6850 for Renders? BUT if this works I would get the best of both
worlds right?!

- GTX TITAN
Concern: Price mainly, and the length of the card. Other than that it seems like the perfect card. Like Nvidia says, "Bridging the gap between Compute oriented cards and entry level Gaming Cards".


Price willing to Pay:
I am willing to pay up to the $500 dollar price-tag on the EVGA GTX 780, more than that and might as well save up for a TITAN, am I right?!? The titan might actually be a choice as I can save up for a while, or hey maybe get lucky with a sale?



Other thoughts:
-Got a few gift cards to Newegg
-Plan to be gaming on 1 monitor as Recording a weird aspect ratio on 2 or more monitors
wouldn't look good for YouTube.
-Bundled Games are not important to me. I'd rather be paying for the Card not the games.
-After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)
-Plan to be Editing on 2 Monitors (1 having my Editing Program and the other having My Media
Bins)
-I am looking to upgrade pretty soon as my workload is being bottle-necked by my 6850 + the sale
on the GTX780 wont last forever!
- YES i plan to be overclocking my GPU setup (ive got the necessary power)
- Keep in mind that SLI wont be an option for me as my mobo doesn't support it. -1 for the 780?



Thanks for taking the time to read this long post guys!
January 13, 2014 6:32:44 AM

theguyordie said:
Hello community,

I am looking into getting a new GPU, now that my old HD6850 is literally a potato sitting in my PC.

My Current Specs:
ASUS M5a97 R2.0 (Supports XFire but not SLI)
FX-8350 (OC'd to 4.4Ghz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair RM1000 (1000W)
Radeon Gigabyte HD6850 OC'd @905Mhz Core
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Scout Case (10.5in MAX for GPU)



What I am looking for:
I am looking for a GPU that will handle graphic intensive games very well (duh). Also video editing and fast render times are essential to me. I would like a GPU that can render a 1080p video in Premiere Pro faster than real-time (lets just say 15m in like 10m or so?). My current Radoen HD 6850 can render a 15 minute 1080p video in about 16 minutes-ish. If I were to rate whether Gaming or Editing was more important, I would say about a 55/45 ratio favoring Editing.


What I have considered:

- EVGA GTX 780 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Concern: Might not be able to deliver the rendering performance I want, as Nvidia focuses
on Gaming Not Editing.

- MSI R9 280X (Though not really appealing to me now that they are bumped up $100)
Concern: Price to Value ratio might sacrifice Gaming Performance for AMD's better Editing
Performance and Compute Performance.
I am also concerned on whether or not CUDA will work better than OpenCL in
Premiere Pro and After Effects CC (OpenCL not supported at all in AE) - worth
sacrifice in gaming??

- EVGA 780 AND HD6850 (780 for gaming and 6850 for Render times, as I am satisfied with my
6850's render times and I could still put it to use. YES i know I would not be able
to run them in conjunction, but could I use them as mentioned above? 780 for
games and 6850 for Renders? BUT if this works I would get the best of both
worlds right?!

- GTX TITAN
Concern: Price mainly, and the length of the card. Other than that it seems like the perfect card. Like Nvidia says, "Bridging the gap between Compute oriented cards and entry level Gaming Cards".


Price willing to Pay:
I am willing to pay up to the $500 dollar price-tag on the EVGA GTX 780, more than that and might as well save up for a TITAN, am I right?!? The titan might actually be a choice as I can save up for a while, or hey maybe get lucky with a sale?



Other thoughts:
-Got a few gift cards to Newegg
-Plan to be gaming on 1 monitor as Recording a weird aspect ratio on 2 or more monitors
wouldn't look good for YouTube.
-Bundled Games are not important to me. I'd rather be paying for the Card not the games.
-After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)
-Plan to be Editing on 2 Monitors (1 having my Editing Program and the other having My Media
Bins)
-I am looking to upgrade pretty soon as my workload is being bottle-necked by my 6850 + the sale
on the GTX780 wont last forever!
- YES i plan to be overclocking my GPU setup (ive got the necessary power)
- Keep in mind that SLI wont be an option for me as my mobo doesn't support it. -1 for the 780?



Thanks for taking the time to read this long post guys!


Unless you're doing 3D, then you're CPU handles most of the rendering. If I were you I'd get the 780 or 780ti. I'd get the Ti, since it's quite an improvement.

And you can't run a 780 and a 6850. I mean, you can, but you need some hack or something. If you pair AMD n Nvidia up, I think the Nvidia Card won't work. Since people could just buy a 300$ amd card and then a gt610 for Physx. So, something to consider.

January 13, 2014 6:32:45 AM

"After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)"

Then yeah, get a 780 or 780ti. Remember, the 780ti is the world's fastest GPU.
Related resources
January 13, 2014 5:47:26 PM

gustafangus said:
"After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)"

Then yeah, get a 780 or 780ti. Remember, the 780ti is the world's fastest GPU.


OK, Nvidia for sure then. 780 or 780 ti? I don't wanna blow out my whole wallet, but I need something that will pack a sufficient punch. Is there a considerable Compute performance gap between the two?? Or would the $200 more for the "TI" be paying for "premiums" such as the newness factor of the card and such?
January 13, 2014 5:49:41 PM



Unless you're doing 3D, then you're CPU handles most of the rendering. If I were you I'd get the 780 or 780ti. I'd get the Ti, since it's quite an improvement.

And you can't run a 780 and a 6850. I mean, you can, but you need some hack or something. If you pair AMD n Nvidia up, I think the Nvidia Card won't work. Since people could just buy a 300$ amd card and then a gt610 for Physx. So, something to consider.

said:


Unless you're doing 3D, then you're CPU handles most of the rendering. If I were you I'd get the 780 or 780ti. I'd get the Ti, since it's quite an improvement.

And you can't run a 780 and a 6850. I mean, you can, but you need some hack or something. If you pair AMD n Nvidia up, I think the Nvidia Card won't work. Since people could just buy a 300$ amd card and then a gt610 for Physx. So, something to consider.



I was thinking of strictly using them separately. Like not even plugging the 6850 into a monitor. Just using for rendering in my OpenCL programs. Or would the Drivers just kill eachother?
January 13, 2014 7:41:54 PM

rhylton88 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-...

Here is the TH review of the ti. You can see it is a large improvement over the normal 780. Its not a premium for the the "newness" or badge.


The only thing that scares me about the 780/780TI is how "neutered" they are in Compute performance, as the article on TH you linked says. How much performance in renders will I get out of a 780/780TI compared to my 6850? I guess all I need is a little reference point to help me make my final decision.

If the answer is similar to better, I'm going for it.
January 13, 2014 11:03:49 PM

Im surprised the 780ti aint 1k $.
I'd get the 780ti. It's the worlds fastest single-gpu card and has lots more shaders and cuda cores, which will do wonders for any editing. So, yeah, I believe the 200$ gap is worth it. Just get one with a non-reference cooler IMO.

Also, you cant have Nvidia and AMD cards at the same time. Nvidia blocks their card, rendering it useless. If you could do that, people would buy a 500$ AMD card and a 30$ Nvidia card for physx and such. So, it wont work , unless you do some bypass or hack, that I know that exists. So, it's possible , but not easy.

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.

Cheers and good luck!

January 13, 2014 11:25:29 PM

gustafangus said:
Im surprised the 780ti aint 1k $.
I'd get the 780ti. It's the worlds fastest single-gpu card and has lots more shaders and cuda cores, which will do wonders for any editing. So, yeah, I believe the 200$ gap is worth it. Just get one with a non-reference cooler IMO.

Also, you cant have Nvidia and AMD cards at the same time. Nvidia blocks their card, rendering it useless. If you could do that, people would buy a 500$ AMD card and a 30$ Nvidia card for physx and such. So, it wont work , unless you do some bypass or hack, that I know that exists. So, it's possible , but not easy.

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.

Cheers and good luck!



Thanks for all the help! I think I have made my decision!
a b 4 Gaming
January 13, 2014 11:55:57 PM

theguyordie said:

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.



As much as any person in the world would like to see that happen, that's not so.
January 14, 2014 3:05:33 AM

cst1992 said:
theguyordie said:

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.



As much as any person in the world would like to see that happen, that's not so.


It was meant as a joke, as the 780ti is more powerful than a titan. It will, however, play all next-gen titles on Ultra , such as Witcher 3 and such...
a b 4 Gaming
January 14, 2014 3:20:57 AM

true.
January 14, 2014 4:01:24 PM

gustafangus said:
cst1992 said:
theguyordie said:

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.



As much as any person in the world would like to see that happen, that's not so.


It was meant as a joke, as the 780ti is more powerful than a titan. It will, however, play all next-gen titles on Ultra , such as Witcher 3 and such...


Ok im putting down the money for a GTX 780, I would absolutely pay for the 780TI but I don't think its in my budget at the moment. Thanks for clearing up the AMD/Nvidia compatibility misconception I had!
January 15, 2014 1:36:45 AM

theguyordie said:
gustafangus said:
cst1992 said:
theguyordie said:

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.



As much as any person in the world would like to see that happen, that's not so.


It was meant as a joke, as the 780ti is more powerful than a titan. It will, however, play all next-gen titles on Ultra , such as Witcher 3 and such...


Ok im putting down the money for a GTX 780, I would absolutely pay for the 780TI but I don't think its in my budget at the moment. Thanks for clearing up the AMD/Nvidia compatibility misconception I had!


Well, both cards are really good and better than any game's requirements for ultra. So, there's no problem with going with a 780. You won't regret it.

Oh, and when you said you can't SLI on that board... Your CPU would bottleneck the cards. It's an extremely fast card. I doubt even an i5 would handle 2.

But you don't nee to SLI. You'll be off great.
January 15, 2014 4:17:46 PM

gustafangus said:
theguyordie said:
gustafangus said:
cst1992 said:
theguyordie said:

In any way, Id get the 780ti. It will play all games on ultra probably for the next 10 years, haha.



As much as any person in the world would like to see that happen, that's not so.


It was meant as a joke, as the 780ti is more powerful than a titan. It will, however, play all next-gen titles on Ultra , such as Witcher 3 and such...


Ok im putting down the money for a GTX 780, I would absolutely pay for the 780TI but I don't think its in my budget at the moment. Thanks for clearing up the AMD/Nvidia compatibility misconception I had!


Well, both cards are really good and better than any game's requirements for ultra. So, there's no problem with going with a 780. You won't regret it.

Oh, and when you said you can't SLI on that board... Your CPU would bottleneck the cards. It's an extremely fast card. I doubt even an i5 would handle 2.

But you don't nee to SLI. You'll be off great.


Sounds great! Cant wait for my newegg package to arrive!
March 24, 2014 7:30:23 AM

gustafangus said:
"After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)"

Then yeah, get a 780 or 780ti. Remember, the 780ti is the world's fastest GPU.



what about the GTX 690?

a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2014 8:28:53 AM

The 780Ti is the world's fastest single GPU card.
The 690 is indeed the fastest card in the world, but it's 2 GPU's in 1 card(2x GTX680).
Now the 790 is going to be released which will have 2 GTX780's and will be the new fastest card.
May 17, 2014 7:11:40 PM

Why isn't anyone bringing up the nVidia Quadro series of GPUs?

I am evaluating video editing hardware/software solutions and called nVidia and asked what was best for a content-producer's needs -- not a gamer. He said the Quadro series was what I wanted. Why does it not come up in discussions like this? Especially if you're using Adobe Premier, which is on nVidia's list of apps that uses Quadro series optimally?



gustafangus said:
theguyordie said:
Hello community,

I am looking into getting a new GPU, now that my old HD6850 is literally a potato sitting in my PC.

My Current Specs:
ASUS M5a97 R2.0 (Supports XFire but not SLI)
FX-8350 (OC'd to 4.4Ghz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair RM1000 (1000W)
Radeon Gigabyte HD6850 OC'd @905Mhz Core
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Scout Case (10.5in MAX for GPU)



What I am looking for:
I am looking for a GPU that will handle graphic intensive games very well (duh). Also video editing and fast render times are essential to me. I would like a GPU that can render a 1080p video in Premiere Pro faster than real-time (lets just say 15m in like 10m or so?). My current Radoen HD 6850 can render a 15 minute 1080p video in about 16 minutes-ish. If I were to rate whether Gaming or Editing was more important, I would say about a 55/45 ratio favoring Editing.


What I have considered:

- EVGA GTX 780 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Concern: Might not be able to deliver the rendering performance I want, as Nvidia focuses
on Gaming Not Editing.

- MSI R9 280X (Though not really appealing to me now that they are bumped up $100)
Concern: Price to Value ratio might sacrifice Gaming Performance for AMD's better Editing
Performance and Compute Performance.
I am also concerned on whether or not CUDA will work better than OpenCL in
Premiere Pro and After Effects CC (OpenCL not supported at all in AE) - worth
sacrifice in gaming??

- EVGA 780 AND HD6850 (780 for gaming and 6850 for Render times, as I am satisfied with my
6850's render times and I could still put it to use. YES i know I would not be able
to run them in conjunction, but could I use them as mentioned above? 780 for
games and 6850 for Renders? BUT if this works I would get the best of both
worlds right?!

- GTX TITAN
Concern: Price mainly, and the length of the card. Other than that it seems like the perfect card. Like Nvidia says, "Bridging the gap between Compute oriented cards and entry level Gaming Cards".


Price willing to Pay:
I am willing to pay up to the $500 dollar price-tag on the EVGA GTX 780, more than that and might as well save up for a TITAN, am I right?!? The titan might actually be a choice as I can save up for a while, or hey maybe get lucky with a sale?



Other thoughts:
-Got a few gift cards to Newegg
-Plan to be gaming on 1 monitor as Recording a weird aspect ratio on 2 or more monitors
wouldn't look good for YouTube.
-Bundled Games are not important to me. I'd rather be paying for the Card not the games.
-After Effects Performance is Important to me (no support for OpenCL yet only CUDA)
-Plan to be Editing on 2 Monitors (1 having my Editing Program and the other having My Media
Bins)
-I am looking to upgrade pretty soon as my workload is being bottle-necked by my 6850 + the sale
on the GTX780 wont last forever!
- YES i plan to be overclocking my GPU setup (ive got the necessary power)
- Keep in mind that SLI wont be an option for me as my mobo doesn't support it. -1 for the 780?



Thanks for taking the time to read this long post guys!


Unless you're doing 3D, then you're CPU handles most of the rendering. If I were you I'd get the 780 or 780ti. I'd get the Ti, since it's quite an improvement.

And you can't run a 780 and a 6850. I mean, you can, but you need some hack or something. If you pair AMD n Nvidia up, I think the Nvidia Card won't work. Since people could just buy a 300$ amd card and then a gt610 for Physx. So, something to consider.



a b 4 Gaming
May 17, 2014 11:51:46 PM

Because quadro series of GPU's are not for gaming at all.
And the quadro's which are equally powerful as the 780 and such are way over $500.
!