Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Steambox (Raven Z RVZ01) Sufficient Cooling with H220 on both CPU and GPU?

Last response: in SteamOS
January 12, 2014 9:25:29 PM

Okay so I want to get this case once it comes out and I wanna be able to watercool my i5 3570k and the new VisionTek CryoVenom R9 290 http://www.visiontekproducts.com/index.php/component/vi...

Since it's such a small case I don't think I'll be able to fit any more radiators in it so I guess my question is would the stock 240mm radiator enough to cool both a 3570k and cryovenom 290?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2014 1:57:42 AM

Potentially, yeah, but I'd be really dubious about getting things to fit. From what I've seen of the RVZ01 so far, to fit a 240mm radiator you need to sacrifice your standard GPU cooler anyway, as the space in that section is really tight.
My main concern would be getting the pipes to fit. I'm fairly confident that you could fit the H220 and that graphics card into the case, but the direction of the pipes coming in and leaving the graphics card block would be directly into the radiator which would be sitting immediately below it. Now, you might be able to use a 90degree pipe adaptor and it'd be fine, but I haven't seen enough data to have any idea of if this will work. Something like this may well work but it'll require you to fit yourself to a standard card, as well as separately purchasing individual heatsinks for the memory etc, as it's not a full cover block.
Also, despite Silverstone claiming compatibility, from what I've seen I'd be quite curious as to how things actually route through the case in a real scenario. Due to the removable GPU cage thing, you'd need a large amount of slack in the pipework to install it which would be really nasty to try to contain when you put it back together.
Bottom line, it might be possible, but I'm pretty confident it's going to give you a lot of headaches. If you really want ITX motherboard and a full watercooling loop (or kinda hybrid like the H220) then something like the Bifenix cases (Prodigy/Phenom/Colossus) or the new Corsair 250D might be more appropriate.
January 13, 2014 12:31:55 PM

Rammy said:
Potentially, yeah, but I'd be really dubious about getting things to fit. From what I've seen of the RVZ01 so far, to fit a 240mm radiator you need to sacrifice your standard GPU cooler anyway, as the space in that section is really tight.
My main concern would be getting the pipes to fit. I'm fairly confident that you could fit the H220 and that graphics card into the case, but the direction of the pipes coming in and leaving the graphics card block would be directly into the radiator which would be sitting immediately below it. Now, you might be able to use a 90degree pipe adaptor and it'd be fine, but I haven't seen enough data to have any idea of if this will work. Something like this may well work but it'll require you to fit yourself to a standard card, as well as separately purchasing individual heatsinks for the memory etc, as it's not a full cover block.
Also, despite Silverstone claiming compatibility, from what I've seen I'd be quite curious as to how things actually route through the case in a real scenario. Due to the removable GPU cage thing, you'd need a large amount of slack in the pipework to install it which would be really nasty to try to contain when you put it back together.
Bottom line, it might be possible, but I'm pretty confident it's going to give you a lot of headaches. If you really want ITX motherboard and a full watercooling loop (or kinda hybrid like the H220) then something like the Bifenix cases (Prodigy/Phenom/Colossus) or the new Corsair 250D might be more appropriate.

Awesome answer, I didn't really think about trying to make it fit (I'm a watercooling noob) and was more worried about the H220 being able to cool both the GPU and CPU.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2014 4:54:21 AM

UPDATE: After reviewing Silverstone's manual for the RVZ01B (found here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/case/Mul...), this solution WILL fit! Also, you can do a single loop for both the video card and the CPU or APU OR you can do a AIO solution for your CPU/APU and a custom loop for your video card...

Space in this case is your enemy if you are trying to water-cool. Slim radiators and slim fans help. 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD tubing will probably be necessary. Smaller size/capacity pump. And you will likely have to make use of 90 degree barbs if you are even going to have a shot of making the tubing behave...

Waterblock:

EK Radeon R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel (includes backplate for $29.99) $148.98 http://www.frozencpu.com/

I always recommend EK waterblocks and if your card does not come with a backplate, I would recommend getting one of those as well to help with a little added thermal dissipation and add a little strength and durability to the card as well...

Radiator:

Swiftech MCR220 "Quiet Power" 2 x 120mm Radiator w/ Reservoir (MCR220-QP Res. R2) $49.95 http://www.frozencpu.com/

This radiator is only 34mm thick and can easily be paired with 120mm x 12mm or 120mm x 15mm fans to allow for a SFF case. Note: Do not forget to rinse out rad until there is no debris emptying out...

Fans:

Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 12mm Fan - 2000 RPM (SY1212SL12H) $11.99 http://www.frozencpu.com/

Use the provided 120mm x 15mm Silverstone fans to cool your video card's loop (requires that you reposition the pre-installed fan from above the CPU/APU to the video card area), then get an extra Scythe and buy a Corsair H60 (~$70). It uses a slim res/rad and can be paired with this fan to make the entire assembly slightly over 2 inches thick (maximum allowed thickness is 83mm). You can mount this in the fan slot directly above your CPU. Oh and I would say try to find low profile RAM and maybe a mobo with a 90 deg rotation for your RAM layout. I also would recommend setting these up in a pull configuration so that the fans don't have the possibility of entanglement with any wires or your tubing in the tight spaces of this case...

Pump:

Swiftech MCP350™ 12v Water Pump (Native 3/8") (92.4 GPH) $79.95 ($98.93 with compression fittings) http://www.frozencpu.com/

Small pump that still has very good reviews and moves a decent amount of water. This should not be that hard finding a place for in the case considering that there is actually a spot for a DDC pump (like this one) to be installed into...

Fittings:

Bitspower G1/4 Thread 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD 90-Degree Rotary Compression Fitting - Matte Black $17.99 ea. http://www.frozencpu.com/
Bitspower G1/4 Thread 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD 45-Degree Dual Rotary Compression Fitting - Matte Black $15.95 ea. http://www.frozencpu.com/

The way I would do it is get 3 of the 90 deg compression fittings and one angled. Put one of each on the waterblock and two 90 deg fittings on the rad/res. This should allow for a slightly easier routing of your tubing...

Tubing:

Tygon A-60-G Norprene 1/4" ID (3/8" OD) - Industrial Grade Thermoplastic Elastomer Tubing $1.50 /ft http://www.frozencpu.com/

Protective Additives:

PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Bomb Bottle - 15mL - Clear $13.95 http://www.frozencpu.com/

Don't forget: distilled water only! And please to fill your res, short your PSU and run your loop a couple times until full, then make sure to run your cooling loop ONLY for 24 hours, regularly checking for leaks. After that, then you can plug your 24-pin back in and boot the system...

All in all it is not exactly the cheapest option of cooling this case, but it would at least be doable and provide better options for overclocking...Keep in mind, that there is not a lot of PSU left for a system like this. Expect a TDP of 410-440W; gives you less than 10% overhead on Silverstone's 450W Strider SFX 80+ GOLD PSU.

One last note: I am also planning on getting this case for my Steam Box, but as of right now I am only planning on using a modified H60 to cool the A10-7850K...I am going to wait and see if Silverstone posts any reference pics for watercooling a video card in this case. If they do then I will consider ordering a waterblock (the MSI R9 290 4G GAMING already has a backplate) for my R9 290 and doing pretty much this exact loop that I described...
m
l
January 15, 2014 11:16:06 AM

sheighton said:
I am also VERY skeptical about the graphics card section fitting a dual radiator + fans, BUT if I were to do it, this is what I would use...

Space in this case is your enemy if you are trying to water-cool. Slim radiators and slim fans help. 3/8 ID or even 1/4 ID tubing will be necessary. Smaller size/capacity pump. And you will likely have to make use of 90 degree barbs if you are even going to have a shot of making the tubing behave...

Radiator:

Swiftech MCR220 "Quiet Power" 2 x 120mm Radiator w/ Reservoir (MCR220-QP Res. R2) $49.95 http://www.frozencpu.com/

This radiator is only 34mm thick and can easily be paired with 120mm x 12mm fans to allow for SFF cases. Note: Do not forget to rinse out rad until there is no debris emptying out...

Fans:

Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 12mm Fan - 2000 RPM (SY1212SL12H) $11.99 http://www.frozencpu.com/

I would also STRONGLY recommend not trying to do one loop in this case. Make it easy on yourself. Get an extra Scythe and buy a Corsair H60 (~$70). It uses a slim res/rad and can be paired with this fan to make the entire assembly slightly over 2 inches thick. You can mount this in the fan slot directly above your CPU. Oh and I would say try to find low profile RAM and maybe a mobo with a 90 deg rotation for your RAM layout. I also would recommend setting these up in a pull configuration so that the fans don't have the possibility of entanglement with any wires or your tubing in the tight spaces of this case...

Pump:

Swiftech MCP350™ 12v Water Pump (Native 3/8") (92.4 GPH) $79.95 http://www.frozencpu.com/

Small pump that still has very good reviews and moves a decent amount of water. This should not be that hard finding a place for in the case...Possibly on the back side of the mounting plate for the video card? In one of the SSD spots? I don't know, you would have to play with it and see where it best fits...

Fittings:

Alphacool G1/4 Thread 3/8" (10mm) ID FatBoy Barb - Deep Black $2.99 ea. http://www.frozencpu.com/
Alphacool G1/4 Thread 90° Rotary 3/8" ID Barbs - Deep Black $6.49 ea. http://www.frozencpu.com/

The way I would do it is get 3 of the 90 deg barbs and one straight. Put one of each on the waterblock and two 90 deg barbs on the rad/res. This should allow for a slightly easier routing of your tubing. Also, I would recommend getting either clamps for your barbs or small zip ties to make sure that your hoses fit securely and do not leak...

Tubing:

Tygon A-60-G Norprene 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) - Industrial Grade Thermoplastic Elastomer Tubing $1.75 /ft http://www.frozencpu.com/

Again, like I said, depending on actual space requirements you might even have to size everything down to 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD tubing and fittings...It restricts your flow a bit, but it does take up the least amount of space possible...Oh and don't forget: distilled water only! Order a biocide or kill coil and a anti-corrosion additive...And please to fill your res, short your PSU and run your loop a couple times until full, then make sure to run your cooling loop ONLY for 24 hours, regularly checking for leaks. After that, then you can plug your 24-pin back in and boot the system...

All in all it is not exactly the cheapest option of cooling this case, but it would at least be doable and provide better options for overclocking...The only other concern I have is TDP. R9 290's are pretty hungry cards and two pumps in the system with whatever storage you choose is going to be somewhere in the 400W range. Silverstone's SFX PSU is rated at 450W...just something to keep in mind...

One last note: I am also planning on getting this case for my Steam Box, but as of right now I am only planning on using a modified H60 to cool the A10-7850K...I am going to wait and see if Silverstone posts any reference pics for watercooling a video card in this case. If they do then I will consider ordering a waterblock and back plate for my R9 290 and doing pretty much this exact loop that I described...

Wow awesome answer, if I end up going the watercooling route (depending on if the 290 comes back in stock anytime soon) I'll definitely use this as a guide!
m
l
January 25, 2014 11:01:50 PM

Previous post updated! After talking with Silverstone rep and reviewing the manual for the case, I found that my cooling solution WILL fit! I also tossed in a choice waterblock for the R9 290(X) so people have an accurate idea of price.

A cooling solution like this should also work out just fine for an Intel Haswell CPU and nVIDIA GTX 780.

The R9 290X is a little too power-hungry for Silverstone's 450W SFX PSU in an air cooled system, let alone with the system being watercooled, and the GTX 780 Ti and GTX TITAN would be pushing your very upper limits on max TDP. So if you are interested in either of those they would be doable, I just wouldn't recommend it...
m
l
January 26, 2014 10:40:44 AM

sheighton said:
Previous post updated! After talking with Silverstone rep and reviewing the manual for the case, I found that my cooling solution WILL fit! I also tossed in a choice waterblock for the R9 290(X) so people have an accurate idea of price.

A cooling solution like this should also work out just fine for an Intel Haswell CPU and nVIDIA GTX 780.

The R9 290X is a little too power-hungry for Silverstone's 450W SFX PSU in an air cooled system, let alone with the system being watercooled, and the GTX 780 Ti and GTX TITAN would be pushing your very upper limits on max TDP. So if you are interested in either of those they would be doable, I just wouldn't recommend it...

Awesome man, you should write a guide when these things come out. Do you know when this thing is coming out? I've been looking it up daily with no luck.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2014 10:51:15 AM

It's certainly an interesting case, I imagine we'll see a lot of weird and wonderful mods to get increasingly powerful things inside.
When Silverstone gets their 550W SFX PSU, it'll certainly give more flexibility and piece of mind with regards to some of the particularly power hungry components.
My concern is that even though you might get things to physically fit, by the time you are done you end up with a pretty inefficient and expensive solution due to the cramped compartment and low airflow.
Very keen to see how these builds turn out.
m
l
January 26, 2014 7:22:27 PM

Rammy said:
It's certainly an interesting case, I imagine we'll see a lot of weird and wonderful mods to get increasingly powerful things inside.
When Silverstone gets their 550W SFX PSU, it'll certainly give more flexibility and piece of mind with regards to some of the particularly power hungry components.
My concern is that even though you might get things to physically fit, by the time you are done you end up with a pretty inefficient and expensive solution due to the cramped compartment and low airflow.
Very keen to see how these builds turn out.

Air flow should not be an issue. There is sufficient venting and as long as you choose adequate CFM fans then you will get the required cooling necessary. Flow rates are also not an issue in such a small case if you are using a decent DDC pump (the one I selected for my guide was a 92.5 G/Hr) and heat dissipation in a decent slim radiator is adequate for one card and even for one card and one CPU/APU. It is also possible to put a res in the case or use a second rad/res combo in the fan slot over the CPU if you desire to do a single loop for everything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2014 8:18:53 PM

Yeah sorry I should have been more specific.
By expensive, I was referring to both the cost of the case (though as far as I know this isn't confirmed, but I've seen $100-120 mentioned which seems very optimistic given the price of the FT03-Mini) and the cost of all of the water cooling equipment (you suggested a figure of maybe $350).
As for inefficient, I meant a few things. Firstly, however thin a radiator+fan combo you get, the fans are going to be very close to the graphics card, so the level of performance you get probably won't be quite as good as it would in a more conventional case
Given this case has pretty decent venting around both the CPU and GPU, it's performance on air is likely to be solid, so it seems fairly unlikely to me that you'll get a vast improvement in performance by doing a full loop. I am very ready to be proven wrong on that point, as I mentioned above, it seems like the kind of case people will go nuts with (kinda like the Prodigy) and I'm expecting some pretty mad solutions... double radiators, maybe a 280mm radiator, external reservoirs...who knows.

I also have some minor concerns about how you actually get it fixed together, given how the graphics card is secured over the radiator (in this instance). If you go from the card to the rad, you'll either need an incredibly short length of tubing which will be a nightmare to fit, or you have a lot of excess which will be tricky to route.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative, if either of you guys attempts anything like this I'm very keen to see the results as I'm a huge ITX/SFF fanboy.
m
l
January 26, 2014 10:24:33 PM

Rammy said:
Yeah sorry I should have been more specific.
By expensive, I was referring to both the cost of the case (though as far as I know this isn't confirmed, but I've seen $100-120 mentioned which seems very optimistic given the price of the FT03-Mini) and the cost of all of the water cooling equipment (you suggested a figure of maybe $350).
As for inefficient, I meant a few things. Firstly, however thin a radiator+fan combo you get, the fans are going to be very close to the graphics card, so the level of performance you get probably won't be quite as good as it would in a more conventional case
Given this case has pretty decent venting around both the CPU and GPU, it's performance on air is likely to be solid, so it seems fairly unlikely to me that you'll get a vast improvement in performance by doing a full loop. I am very ready to be proven wrong on that point, as I mentioned above, it seems like the kind of case people will go nuts with (kinda like the Prodigy) and I'm expecting some pretty mad solutions... double radiators, maybe a 280mm radiator, external reservoirs...who knows.

I also have some minor concerns about how you actually get it fixed together, given how the graphics card is secured over the radiator (in this instance). If you go from the card to the rad, you'll either need an incredibly short length of tubing which will be a nightmare to fit, or you have a lot of excess which will be tricky to route.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative, if either of you guys attempts anything like this I'm very keen to see the results as I'm a huge ITX/SFF fanboy.

68mm clearance in the video card section. You will have at least 10mm clearance between the video card waterblock and the rad/fans if you go with a thin 38mm rad and 15mm or 12mm fans...For routing the tubing you can do about a 10in line from the rad (oriented with the fittings towards the front of the case) to the video card and a longer section (18in?) from the card to the pump installed in the optional 2.5" SDD / DDC pump slot.

The CPU/APU side would be much easier due to the 83mm clearance...But yes, I agree that air cooling the case with a AIO cooler would likely be the better option in terms of price to performance ratio...
m
l
January 27, 2014 5:39:12 PM

OT but I ordered the RVZ01 case today, their rep told me they'd be shipping within 2-3 weeks.
m
l
March 3, 2014 5:04:34 PM

imagine the asus impact with an EK full board block
m
l
March 5, 2014 6:01:22 PM

I'm fairly confident that you could fit the H220 and that graphics card into the case, but the direction of the pipes coming in and leaving the graphics card block would be directly into the radiator which would be sitting immediately below it.
m
l
March 31, 2014 5:42:46 PM

mikeb216 said:
imagine the asus impact with an EK full board block

Im in the process of trying to find a way to do that very thing... Talk about a challenge getting this all to fit. If i actually figure out a way to accomplish it il be sure to post it.
m
l
!