How to interview for a job?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
A bit of a strange question, I know, but I live nearby a microcenter and, being a broke college student, figured I might look towards them for a job.

On the technical side, I'm pretty experienced and can do a number of jobs that they throw at me, from working the floor to building to about anything. However, the only paying job I've ever actually had was acquired through connections and it wasn't computer related, so I'm not really sure how I'd approach something like this. Do I just walk in wearing an oxford shirt and dress pants, ask if I could interview and hand them my resume (it's a pretty bare resume at that, and I don't think I could list my badges on Tom's Hardware as a reference)? Or is there something else I should do as well? I'm assuming I should at least call beforehand. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What is a Microcenter? Anyways, it never hurts to drop in a resume. Be prepared to answer any questions they may have. Lots of recruiters these days ask YOU what you know about THEM. They want to make sure people do their homework when coming to work for them. Do you have any relavent experience in their field? Do you have any certifications at all? Seeing as you don't have much of anything on your resume at the moment, your only saving grace would be a certification of some sort. With the economy as it is right now, employers are able to pick the cream of the crop for new hires seeing as there are litterly thousands of High Tech people out of work.

Best of luck to you mate.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Yea, Woldshadw. I study in Boston, but it's a 20 minute walk from my dorm to the Cambridge location. I'm looking at Cashier, Sales associate - build your own PC and Sales associate - general sales since all of them are part time. I'm mostly interested in Sales associate - build your own PC, but the main issue is that they list a prerequisite of prior retail experience, something I don't have.