Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver install hangs

nwh10

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with integrated Intel graphics running Win XP Pro. Within the last week, after logging in to Windows, only a blue screen appears with no desktop icons. This is not a BSOD - just a plain blue desktop. Rebooting has usually resulted in a successful boot, but no longer.

Multiple forums suggested disabling the display adapter in Device Manager and then rebooting. Supposedly, the video drivers would reload.

So I disabled the display adapter and rebooted. Windows reported that it had found new hardware, but no matter where I pointed or what I tried, it was unable to find the driver,

Booting to safe mode with networking produced a working desktop. Booting normally produced New Hardware Found dialog with no successful completion.

Eventually, I booted to the boot menu (by pressing the F8 key while booting), and selected "restore to last known working configuration". That at least gave me a working desktop without being in safe mode. But the only display resolutions currently available are 800x600 and 1024x768,

The video driver is R203389.exe. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver installation proceeds through the registry keys and hangs at "Installing Driver: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family, Vermont 6.14.10.4990."

How can I get a full range of display resolutions working?

Thanks for your help.

nwh10

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I believe I've resolved the problem. I did a Windows system restore (Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System restore), and everything seems to be working again.