To Partition, Or not to Partition? and Partition Troubles

The3rdKnight

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I just built my first computer with a 1 TB SATA Hard drive. And me, wanting to be pro, partitioned the hard drive. I wanted drive C to house the OS and be separate in case of updates or reinstalls, and drive D to be used as general storage. When I installed my first game of choice(Minecraft), the launcher said "launching from C:\yaddayaddaya." I wanted it to be installed on and launched from drive D. Should I just backup important data and do a total reinstall with no partitions, or How do I make sure that anything I download go to Drive D? And how do expand Drive C?

The3rdKnight

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

I guess I forgot to mention that I have windows 8 and I am not totaly sure if I want to keep the partition because of the fact that I lack the experience to use it to its full extent. The website said it supported up to windows 7 but I did not see windows 8. I found another download from Paragon Software group that I will try.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
You can change where something installs when you are first in the installation wizard. Default is C->Program Files, but you can set it to go to D drive (maybe make a "Program Files 2" folder for organizational purposes and put it in there) I would do the reinstall of the game on the other partition

You can expand/shrink partitions from disk management, by doing extend/shrink volume I believe

The3rdKnight

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

From what you have said I think that it may just be that one game that doesnt allow me to tell it where to install. Some thing I did on my own was chance the location of the downloads folder to drive D. Thanks for the tips. I will do that. :)