dual 6-core xeon or one 10 core with another later(or possibly dual Opteron) For 3D and video rendering?

Which is a better tactic for building a fast rendering system?

• dual E5-2630 v2 (and stay with those)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Single E5-2670 v2 (and add a second with more ram later)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Opteron 6376

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

EDIT: I am considering Opteron as an option but I have never built an Intel based system so I want to do that a bit more...plus the Asus motherboard for the Xeon looks pretty solid.

I am building a dual cpu workstation for a server AND rendering. (3d and video/vegas)

Now I can get two Xeon E5-2630 v2 for $585 each, that would give me 12 cores for $1,170-

Would this be a good decision- or should I spend a little more (~$1,465) for one 10-core Xeon E5-2670 v2 and add the second cpu later?

I would go 12 core...buuuuut...2,000+ isn't worth it to me.

The 8 core isn't and option because they are almost the same price.
----------
What I'll be using(so far)-
MOBO: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB 2400MHz CL11
--I want to upgrade to 64GB after I get the second cpu (if I go for the 10-core option) but I only have half the slots with one cpu.
GPU: HD7970 3GB
HARDISKS: 8x 4tb WD RED NAS drives in Raid-10 (I want to double this...anyone suggest any raid cards too that isn't over priced?)
SSDs: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB or Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB for cache and boot (I can't decide yet)
AUDIO: Asus STX
COOLING: Noctua NH-U12S (That's good enough right? does the 10 core get hot?) I don't want a liquid loop...
CASE: HAF Sacker, that cases design looks perfect...all those filters...
Would it be a better strategy to get the 10 core? or the dual 6 cores- I will be rendering multiple things at once (as a service to multiple people) and I feel the higher clock 10 core might be as good as the dual 2630s...

NOTE: I want to also maybe use this as my every-day PC as well...I am working to be an illustrator and will be using photoshop and sketchbook pro and I also play with audio editing a bit (no more than 10 tracks in REAPER...max 5 FX per)

thank you in advance!

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
That's tough but I say go with the two 2630s. It would be great performance NOW for a pretty decent price. By the time you were ready to get a 2nd 2670, you could just redo your system. I'm sure there would be newer/better Xeons released by then anyway.

G

both of you are right...that's why it's so hard to choose!

The 10 core is 2.5 (3.3 boost) and the 6 cores are 2.6 (3.1 boost) so the 10 core might be the same as the two 6 cores...not sure though...

how is cooling the 10 cores? do they get hot and such with just air cooling?

Bonecrushrr

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
They will be designed to run on air cooling in a rack mount server so the heat load has to be manageable. There are very few companies if any that large scale water cool there server cpu's.

G

oh- okay.

That's good to know as I wasn't going to mount things in a way that would let me use liquid cooling.

For air- Do you suggest a Noctua NH-U12S, Noctua NH-U14S, Noctua NH-U12P, or dual 140mm fans to keep them cool while they turbo (I was planning on leaving them turbo'd 100% of the time)

Bonecrushrr

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I don't currently have an answer to that, not sure how much room is on the mobo to allow mounting of coolers. I will have s look tonight after work if you have no reply before then.

G

hmm...I could go with an opteron 6348 and a Supermicro H8DGi mobo...

jk...

okay, thank you, I'm going to try to do more research on this too.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
You could get two Cooler Master 212s or any similar styled Noctuas and add a 3rd fan in the middle for a push/pull/push configuration. They're not that hard to cool with proper ventilation.

Which setup did you decide to go with? The 12 cores @ 3.1ghz would outperform the 10 cores @ 3.3ghz by just a hair.

G

I'm not quite sure yet, but I will probably go for the 10 core if it won't be that much different and add a second 10 core later.

I could go 2x 16-core Opterons for the same price which is a little sad...
Unless that is faster I really don't see too much reason to go for it...(32 cores would be faster than 20 but I don't know the efficiency of those)
--
Now I'm looking at two 10-core Xeons within the same group, One seems to just be a higher clocked version of the other-
Now should I go for the:
Xeon E5-2660 v2 or the Xeon E5-2670 v2?

Is there any difference other than the clocks? Couldn't I just clock the 2660 up to a 2670 and save $150 per cpu?(maybe crank the 2660 to the 2670's turbo @ 3.3ghz) As the Asus board does OC from what I can tell...and I't's more solid than a wall...