My PC vs macs

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
So I was just wondering up until which version of imacs, if my PC better than a Mac, or if it's even better at all. This is my first build and I'm pretty new to computer building so I'm not an expert at all in parts.

Here;s my build :http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2tSQs

Here are the macs I wanna compare to http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/imac

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I already purchased the parts, i haven'taassembled it yet. What would you change?

My px will be for general /social networking use, not gaming.

I wanted to compare the two pc's in general (if possible)

I would have changed the GPU. It is WAY more than you need if you aren't gaming and not enough if you are gaming. You also have no need or use for the CPU cooler because your CPU cannot be overclocked, so that was a waste but other than that it is a good build.

Well your CPU is basically the same as the i5s offered in those computers. That's about all there is to it. In reality, no one would even be able to tell the difference between those computers and yours as they are so comparable. the only real difference is the gaming power as those PCs have different GPUs. You aren't gaming so for all intents and purposes, your computer has the same RAM and basically the same CPU so it is pretty much exactly comparable to those MACs. You have an SSD so yours will boot faster and programs will load quicker, but in terms of actual computing power, your computer and those are the same.

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
So if I was running alot of programs and using the CPU to the max, the fan would be able to cool it down?

For just general usage and internet browsing, really the only thing that would make a difference is an SSD, you don't need a lot of computing grunt to browse facebook and run MS Word.
So for your usage, the real question is whether you like Windows or OSX better.

The stock CPU cooler can keep it cool under full load, though if you want it to be at a decent temperature while doing so and not extremely loud than that 212+ is a good option.
The 212 EVO would be a better option though, much better baseplate design.

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Because I'm not going to be gaming, should I stick to my current processor? I heard the AMD fx 8300 is really good, but in my scenario, which would be better?

If your going to change your build, it would be dropping the GPU in my opinion. Integrated graphics are fine for what you want to do.
If you were to go over to AMD, I would be looking at something from their APU line, not their FX chips.

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
A few online friends were telling me that because I'm going to be running dual monitors, having a decent/better GPU is better.

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Besides gaming, what does a GPU do?

Btw, thanks for answering all my (stupid?) questions! I really appreciate it, you're answers are very helpful :)

Besides gaming or video editing the only purpose would be adding more than 2 monitors to a build. For this there are VERY cheap options. GPUs can be as cheap as 30-40 dollars for simply adding monitors to a computer. The cad you bought is not really meant for that. It is a low end gaming GPU.

It calculates what should appear on your monitor in a nutshell. Their main application is gaming because that is very difficult to calculate and most integrated GPU's just simply arent powerful enough to get the settings and performance we want.

A desktop isnt hard to calculate, nor is two or three of them. Integrated graphics should be fine for multiple screens.

lucida

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
So essentially since im not gaming or doing video editing, the GPU will the same as the stock gpu that comes with the processor?