First PC build - Advice please

Sneaky Wizard

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hi everybody,

I am new to building a PC (I currently own an XPS 600, several years old now).

I am planning to upgrade by building my own system, which I have been told is cheaper and gives you have more control over what goes inside etc.

I have purchased a case; the Cooler Master HAF X and would like some advice on filling it with awesome hardware from people with experience in this matter. I will be using some mid range recording studio software, high end gaming as much as possible and other normal PC use. I am interested in overclocking in the future, once the system is up and running smoothly.

The current parts I have chosen are:

Asus Maximus VI Hero C2 Motherboard - From what I understand this is a good mobo and the C2 refers to a revision that fixed USB sleep issues.

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU- I have been advised that an i7 would be overkill for gaming and not really be worth the extra expenditure.

Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - This is the kind of performance I can afford.

G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2400MHz TridentX Memory - Seems good.

Obviously no PSU yet, will get one that meets the power requirement needs once these are confirmed.

Basically I just need someone to step in if I am making a schoolboy error!

Thank in advance,
Andrew

ProWilma

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
That motherboard is a tad expensive, something like a MSI GD45 Z87 Motherboard or AsRock Z87 Killer will do you just fine unless you absolutely love Asus ROG. With the extra money you can get a better graphics card fro better gaming performance. Having an expensive motherboard doesn't really benefit you in games, only if you're doing crazy overclocks, then the ROG series has some very nice features.

Sneaky Wizard

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

Fast reply! I have been scared off the MSI mobos as I have read a LOT of reviews claiming DOA... not good.

Saving up for a better graphics card may be an option then; other than this the hardware I have chosen should all work well together?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the help :)

Sneaky Wizard

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

I have also been advised to put the operating system on a hard state drive, separate to normal HDD storage?

Looking forward to putting it together!