Installed new GPU now monitor won't turn on. Do I need to update my PSU?

jordankylemoore

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi i recently purchased a Asus HD7850-DC-1GD5 graphics card form my pc. i followed the instructions when connecting it. my pc starts up but the monitor has no signal no matter how i connect it. I now believe this card should be connected to the power supply as well however the card has a 6 pin input but my ATX-550W power supply only seems to have 4 pin plugs on it. Can someone please help me?

My specs are

Intel Core i5 2320 3.00GHz
Intel H61M
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram
1TB
Windows 7
550w PSU

My old GPU was a ATI 6450 1GB DDR3 and everything worked well but it lagged on Arma 3 so I thought I'd upgrade. Guess I should have asked for help first :(

jordankylemoore

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
RulesSpew - Thanks for the article it is a good read :)

bluehowell - thanks for the info I will look into upgrading my power supply in the near future!

smorizio - there was no cable/plug in the box but now I know what I need I might buy one as a temporary fix but will eventually get a psu I don't want to do any damage.

Thanks again everyone :)

bluehowell

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Ideally you don want to use a molex adapter as generally if a psu didn't come with a 6 pin pcie connector it is because it is not up to the task due to it's very low price. I wouldn't risk using a molex adapter with my new graphics card. Cheap power supplys are very risky and there is a chance it may destroy hardware attached to it.