Are Windows 8.1 Firewall and Defender enough security?

Are Windows 8.1 Firewall and Defender enough security?

• Windows 8.1 Firewall and Defender are enough security.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Windows 8.1 Firewall and Defender are not enough security.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dusf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi

Windows defender has been revamped for Windows 8 so it apparently does much more than Microsoft Security Essentials does on previous versions of windows but is it enough security?

Is the Windows firewall enough security? I am behind stuck behind a Netopia 2247 until I upgrade in the near future, and due to a connection issue I have with a remote server at the moment its firewall is set to off.

If either Defender or the stock Windows firewall are insufficient, is it worth paying for anti-malware, anti-virus, and firewall software to replace them or are any of the free solutions adequate? Please recommend specific software if necessary.

Astralv

Distinguished
I would never use any computer without active paid subscriptions. Norton 360 is good, good prices on Amazon. Tigerdirect and newegg often have good sale prices on Webroot products and many others.

IrvSp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
I believe the Windows is an incoming only firewall, I could be wrong though as I do not use it.

There are many parts to 'security', and a suite will cover more parts that a single A/V and partial F/W.

All are subject to a zero-day attack, that is a new virus/trojan not seen before. The better ones will be using heuristics to hopefully catch these, but the real thing that counts is once one of these is discovered, how fast will you protection be updated to cover it? Many 'free' ones only update during boot time or if you manually do it. Paid ones generally do it continually during the computer up-time.

There are many reviews and comparisons on the web for free vs. fee based protection. Here are some links to look at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210589/free_versus_fee_free_and_paid_antivirus_programs_compared.html
http://www.datadoctors.com/help/columns/21725-Free-vs-Pay-Anti-Virus/

There are more too, just Google for them.

This is NO correct answer either. Any might work for you but when you get a problem it isn't as good as you thought. It can happen with any one, but better ones provide better protection all around.

Most suites offer other features free ones do not, like Parental Controls of ID protection for instance.