windows x86 with 8Gb of RAM - should i get x64?

I need my new laptop to run Photoshop, Revit and 3ds Max and do some rendering. When i bought Win 7 to be installed on a new SSD disk i overlooked that x86 has a memory limit. Does x86 make 8 Gb of RAM useless? How strongly will it affect laptop's performance?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows x86 8gb ram x64
  1. Yes if your only running x86 you won't be able to put the full 8GB to full use. By making it x64 you will. More ram will make it a lot more responsive and ultimately faster
  2. From what I read, I believe the 64 bit OS is better, it gives you more options, and also utilizes more of your RAM.
    In my opinion 8 gb of RAM is enough for a 64 bit operating system, though I am not an expert.
    Just wanted to give you a quick reply :)
  3. There is no reason what so ever not to get a 64 bit OS on any respectably modern system.
  4. Lee-m said:
    There is no reason what so ever not to get a 64 bit OS on any respectably modern system.

yes except i already paid money for x86.. i was hoping it won't be that much of a problem, but i guess i'll need to get x64 once i get a chance :/
    thanks for the replies!
  5. It is my understanding you can request an x86 license or a x64 license for any version of windows you have purchased.
  6. Lee-m said:
    It is my understanding you can request an x86 license or a x64 license for any version of windows you have purchased.

thank you i did not know that, that's a relief :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops RAM x86 Windows 7