Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hi.
this is my current rig:
PSU: LC Power Ozeanos v2.2 8650 650W
CPU: Intel Q9550
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-PRO
RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB

Today I got my Sapphire R9 280x and the rest of the components (CPU, PSU, RAM, Motherboard) arrive in 10 days. What I want to know is: How safe is to Install my new graphic card into my current rig to use it until other components arrive?

For 4 years I had ATI 4890 and now I found a buyer, so I would like to know is it "safe" (due to possible incomatibility or lack of power) to install new GPU to my current rig?

Joniostis

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

The components probably won't harm it but as that is an old and outdated PSU, i'd just wait 10 more days, you wouldn't be able to game much anyway with that cpu.

Patience my friend :p Just run your rig as it is now and then you'll be able to install a completely fresh brandnew 280x in your new rig.

Cheers

Joni

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

Thank you for your answer!
It's not about patience. Problem is I have 14 days to return the card if Im not satisfied with it...problem is, if other components won't be there in 14 days I won't be able to test my card whether it works or not. To be honest, that's the only reason I want to install my new graphic card.

Can't see any problems, AFAIK the 4890 uses 1x6 and 1x8 pin PCI-E leads, the same as the R9 280, if that is the case the worst that could happen is the card will be bottlenecked by the slow CPU.

Agree. For testing purposes, it's alright to install your new card in your old PC, but you may have to reinstall drivers.

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
The next problem now is that my TOXIC won't fit in my NZXT Beta case for testing. (I ordered big case big enough to fit my new graphic card, though)

I don't see connection to LG. If it was linked to LG, then my apologies, wasnt on purpose :)