Do I need a electrostatic wristband?

CPUFAILURE

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I'm about to start building my first computer. However, I have a leather chair and a carpet below me.

Should I invest in an electrostatic wristband? I am a very careful guy but since I'm building my first computer which has cost me over 1,000.... you kinda get the picture.. please help me!
Or are there any better things to do?

Solution
I know you said you can't but defiantly look into working somewhere there is no carpet.(friends house, dining room, office) I built my first rig in my dining room on hardwood floors with no socks and with an anti electric static wrist strap. If you can't change rooms maybe get one of those things you put under a chair to make it easier to roll around on (don't know what they are called, sorry). I know people have built on carpet and will continue to do so but for me the risk is to great when working with such delicate equipment.

_Vass

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
as long as you properly ground yourself by thouching either the case or the psu(plugged into the wall) you should be fine. you don't have to keep grounding yourself just do it before you touch a component.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
The safest bet is to use a wristband. They are only a few bucks so it wouldn't be much of an investment ;-) You can definitely make do without, just make sure to touch metal that is grounded before working on it.

thunderdog512

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I know you said you can't but defiantly look into working somewhere there is no carpet.(friends house, dining room, office) I built my first rig in my dining room on hardwood floors with no socks and with an anti electric static wrist strap. If you can't change rooms maybe get one of those things you put under a chair to make it easier to roll around on (don't know what they are called, sorry). I know people have built on carpet and will continue to do so but for me the risk is to great when working with such delicate equipment.

Solution