Can I use my flatscreen as a monitor?

TechGuyAlabama

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
I've heard guys at work hooking up their flatscreens to their computers. I know I can do this with an hdmi cable but it looks like crap when I do.

Are there settings I need to change to make it look better or is that what I should expect since it isn't a monitor?

I am using an AMD Radeon HD6950.

Solution
I don't agree with the above at all.

A normal HDTV is very similar to a monitor, and I've connected to 20+ HDTV's of all sorts via HDMI without the slightest problem. As long as it's not Plasma, they both have an LCD filter.

I have no idea why "multiple" Graphics cards would be needed either since performance would be identical to any 1920x1080 60Hz setup.

Keep in mind GAME CONSOLES use HDTV's just fine, and the recent game consoles are just Medium gaming PC's.

*The PROBLEM you are having is simply not setting up the settings correctly. It is done in the HDTV section of your Catalyst Control Center.

1. CCC-> HDTV section
2. 1080pNTSC_60Hz
3. adjust OVERSCAN (will get a picture on the screen)

You can NOT set this up correctly by...

imkvn

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
That's what usually your going to expect, unless it's a high end tv with a multiple gfx cards. ms is really bad on a tv compared with a monitor. My friend plays on a 7k machine at work and prefers the monitor.

I don't agree with the above at all.

A normal HDTV is very similar to a monitor, and I've connected to 20+ HDTV's of all sorts via HDMI without the slightest problem. As long as it's not Plasma, they both have an LCD filter.

I have no idea why "multiple" Graphics cards would be needed either since performance would be identical to any 1920x1080 60Hz setup.

Keep in mind GAME CONSOLES use HDTV's just fine, and the recent game consoles are just Medium gaming PC's.

*The PROBLEM you are having is simply not setting up the settings correctly. It is done in the HDTV section of your Catalyst Control Center.

1. CCC-> HDTV section
2. 1080pNTSC_60Hz
3. adjust OVERSCAN (will get a picture on the screen)

You can NOT set this up correctly by using the normal resolution settings. You absolutely MUST use the HDTV section.

Other:
- set HDTV as either Primary, Secondary or the ONLY monitor

Solution