using old heat sink on more powerful CPU

bellboy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hi. I just got a Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.0GHz Quad will It be safe to run it on my old heat sink that's running my dual core 2.4. At the moment that's running at 40c on both cores. I mainly what to check it work's so it won't be in long, maybe half hour.

Hope someone can help

DeathAndPain

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Heat sinks have a specified wattage up to which they are suitable. I reckon you do not have this information for your old heat sink. Nonetheless I do not think it will be a problem if you use it on the Core 2. Intel CPUs throttle themselves down before taking damage when running too hot. Note that the 40°C you are currently measuring are pretty meaningless because your CPU was probably mostly idle while you measured them. You could put your CPU to a torture test using the free downloadable tool Prime95 to find out how your cooler performs then. But as far as I understand you, you are not interested in this. You are interested in knowing whether the old cooler will do fro half an hour of doing some stuff, and the answer is yes. However, note that you need to properly apply it, complete with fresh thermal grease, including properly cleaning off the old thermal grease. If the old cooler came with a thermal pad, it is particularly important to completely remove that and apply fresh thermal grease before mounting the cooler.

bellboy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Hi thanks for the fast reply, yer I understand the importance of installing it correctly. I just don't now weather it's worth it or not.hmm. I have to upgrade the bios first, so I will do that first.Thanks again.
edit: I will not be running this under any load, just booting to window basically