my old X6 1090T Black Edition, upgrade it?

trottermtg

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hey guys,

I've been using my 1090T for about 3 years I'd say. Its paired with an XFX HD 6870. They have been generally good for me. I have it connected to a 32 inch TV and mostly just play games on it. I'll watch netflix, HBO GO and stuff like that as well but its mostly gaming.

I play basically everything from fallout and skyrim to xcom and nba 2k14 with a couple MMOs for good measure. I've got your basic mid range system from about 2011 and I'm starting to feel the systems age.

I've got a couple hundred bucks in my pocket and would like to upgrade at least one part now and then maybe go full in on an upgrade late spring or early summer. The main question is should I start with my CPU? If I was going to pick one piece to start with, should it be the CPU (or the GPU?)

Thanks!

rmm03

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I would upgrade the gpu considering that cpu still performs well in comparison to today's Fx series cpu. And Ur gpu is actually a little on the low end by today's standards. Radeon 7950 or 7970 should be perfect for u for a few more years or maybe an r9 series. Depending on how much u wanna spend

trottermtg

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I was thinking about an R9 as well but thought my CPU was more outdated than my GPU. If that isn't the case then I know exactly what to do. 270x here I come.

Thanks!!!

trottermtg

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I like what I'm hearing about the processor. Do you guys think I could go another year with it? I ask because I' was all set to get the 270x (my price range) but if I could squeeze another year out of the processor then I'd get the R9 270 and when I upgrade in the spring pass on the CPU and add another R9 270.

That would leave me in a good spot so that in December of this year/Jan of the next I could upgrade the CPU. I hope that was easy enough to follow. Thoughts?

additional info: I know the 270 and 270x aren't that far apart in price, but after the warranty and shipping it just busts open the $200 budget I'm already breaking. Wife agreed to that $200 reluctantly since I got a PS4 ...

RJMacReady

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

RJMacReady

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I actually have a similar question. I saw on BF4 forums where ppl where saying that the R9 270 will bottleneck with the phenom II x4 965 and even the sixcore phenom 1100T. I just ordered the R9 270 and already own the phenom II x965 black but was wondering how the 1100T would do with the R9 270, so i dont have to completely rebuild right now. Do you know if they would bottle neck? or should I just completely rebuild using my 270? I think this forum's users are actually right more so than the other forum where everyone is screaming bottleneck. But I was just wondering what you went with and how does it do?

RJMacReady

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
So what do you guys think about the R9 270 card and sticking with my phenom II x4 965 3.4 for now? Would they bottleneck with newer games? ATM i'm still using my phenom 3.4 and XFX 6770 and i can play COD ghosts and BF4 on medium/high settings decent. But I would think the 270 and 1100T would go nicely together but i'm not sure.

I, too, have an Radeon HD 6870, but mine is paired with a FX-4170 - roughly equivalent to the four-core Phenom II 965. It's a decent rig that can still play most of the games on high, still.

With games starting to be more friendly towards more physical cores, your chip will still be viable for a while. However, because of the lower clock speed, you would probably benefit a lot from an overclock.

The biggest, but not cheapest, gain would be an investment in a new video card. The 6870 is an oldie-goodie, but the improvements and support they're coming out with for GCN is making upgrading from the older architecture worth it.