Monitor loses signal after Windows 7 loading screen

themuffin

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello all, first post here and I can't seem to find an answer so I thought I'd ask directly.

Today my computer was running fine. Was gaming all day and then left for about 20-30minutes to eat dinner. When I came back I noticed 2 of my displays (I have a 3 display set up) lost signal. So I tried to turn them off/on and unplug/replug but it didn't do anything. I tried to goto Display > Screen resolution to see what was up, but I was unable to view it since it kept popping up on a "screen" with no signal (my middle one, probably irrelavent). So I figured I'd reboot the computer, everything seemed fine except I noticed my middle screen still had no signal. The display that was working was going through the boot process and came to the windows loading screen (everything normal) then once it got passed that ALL displays lost signal entirely. I restarted and was able to go into Safe Mode and I am able to access everything with my one monitor showing a display. I uninstalled my display drivers through Device Manager and was going to re-install them. Before I go on further I will mention that my video card is a Radeon 6950. So currently I am in safe-mode (with networking) and downloaded the latest AMD Drivers (Catalyst Control Center) to see if that would fix it, but now when I try to install and even uninstall I get the message "Failed to load detection driver".

This is as far as I've gone, can anyone help me or inform me what the problem may be?

Solution
the gpu could have over heated and failed if it did your rig may be falling over to the onboard video port. if it not the gpu yu could be having a power supply issues. start with no gpu and use the onboard video. if it gets into windows fine..update your chipset drivers and check in the bios to what output is the main video output if it set to auto set it to peg/pci.
then with one monitor see if the amd gpu is working. if the error still there...try another video card to see if it the card or your power supply.
the gpu could have over heated and failed if it did your rig may be falling over to the onboard video port. if it not the gpu yu could be having a power supply issues. start with no gpu and use the onboard video. if it gets into windows fine..update your chipset drivers and check in the bios to what output is the main video output if it set to auto set it to peg/pci.
then with one monitor see if the amd gpu is working. if the error still there...try another video card to see if it the card or your power supply.

Solution

themuffin

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Never done this before, sorry, so how do you update your chip set drivers?

Edit: Oh yeah - I took my video card out and I am able to load into windows normally with my one display working.

EDIT: Uninstalled all AMD drivers for my GPU and re-installed. Put the GPU back in and now everything seems to be working fine.

However, I tried to do the chipset update and now everytime I log into windows it says it can't find something like C:/windows/chipset/Asus Setup

ayn123

Reputable
May 29, 2014
my computer has the same problem. only mine is not for gaming, it does not have an external gpu. when i boot up, the monitor goes no signal after windows loading screen. but is ok on safe mode. please help.