Sign in with
Your question

Yet another single vs dual channel question

Last response: in Memory
January 19, 2014 3:25:25 AM

Hello. I have been reading around the subject of single and dual channel memory and there is an issue I cannot understand.
If a single 4GB memory module is capable of running only in single channel (unless it possible for one module to run in dual channel in which case I am seriously confused) isn't it better to have two 2GB modules running in dual channel and therefore having 128-bit bandwidth? After all data that can be sent per cycle is doubled so I guess this should improve performance.
I will be very thankful if someone could provide some information on that issue.
a b } Memory
January 19, 2014 3:33:33 AM

Yes, when dealing with dual channel memory, you will always get the best memory usage performance by using your sticks/modules in pairs. Also, it is advisable to always buy your dual channel RAM in kits of two or four sticks/modules (since these kits have sticks/modules that were matched at the factory) rather than buying individual sticks/modules one at a time.
January 19, 2014 3:37:38 AM

animal said:
Yes, when dealing with dual channel memory, you will always get the best memory usage performance by using your sticks/modules in pairs. Also, it is advisable to always buy your dual channel RAM in kits of two or four sticks/modules (since these kits have sticks/modules that were matched at the factory) rather than buying individual sticks/modules one at a time.

Thank you for the quick answer. That cleared things up. :) 
a b } Memory
January 19, 2014 3:57:02 AM

glad to help :) 
!